superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where WAS Krypton in the Universe?  (Read 20761 times)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »

Jor-El was a genius much far advanced than his fellow scientists on Krypton.  That's why he knew the planet was going to explode and the others couldn't figure it out.

I believe Krypton was in a distant galaxy and Jor used wormhole technology to get Kal to earth?  Why earth?  Because it was the one planet where Jor felt Kal could blend in.  A more advanced planet might subject Kal to years if not a lifetime of study...plus, with the powers Jor knew Kal would develop, there was little chance of him being confined for such a purpose. 

As for kryptonite, apparently Jor's science allowed the wormhole to transport it to our galaxy, probably not on purpose.

Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 03:47:27 AM »

I find it odd that if you're going to place Krypton 27 light years from Earth, why create a permanent wormhole in order to, in effect, place it right next door?  Why not just have Krypton be right next door in the first place - planet 12, or the former asteroid belt or something.  Originally, it was Krypton that died (from "old age"), not its sun.  And the color of the sun was no factor in Kryptonians having super-powers.  So Krypton could have been right here in this solar system with no conflict.  That way you have all the Kryptonite you want, and the space journeys could have been done with traditional rockets in a manageable time; consistent with Krypton's anti-rocketry history.

I thought this was the original logic on Krypton's location - that is was the asteroid belt before it became the belt - on the way back 1940's.  I just laugh when I see this topic - do you have any idea how much time in science class I used trying to figure out the scientific angles to super-powers?

I think placing Krypton out in the nether-realms past Pluto makes the most sense.  Then it's not too close, but the occasional mysterious object (like Kryptonite meteors) can swing in close to Earth, then back out on their long, elliptical orbits.

Sounds a bit like a story that's being produced here.  Hmmm...

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 04:58:39 AM »

I think placing Krypton out in the nether-realms past Pluto makes the most sense.  Then it's not too close, but the occasional mysterious object (like Kryptonite meteors) can swing in close to Earth, then back out on their long, elliptical orbits.

Sounds a bit like a story that's being produced here.  Hmmm...

I guess I have K-Metal on the brain.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 05:13:17 AM »

Why not? The sci-fi behind K-Metal is pretty strong and unburdened by decades of "continuity"...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 05:29:25 AM »

Why not? The sci-fi behind K-Metal is pretty strong and unburdened by decades of "continuity"...

Ha ha.  He said "unburdened" and "continuity" in the same sentence, in a comics board; Superman's of all comics!  Must be some kind of award for that, must be.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »

A lot of things about how krypton was depicted (in the 70s & 80s most of all) never made any logical sense.  Too often in the bronze age the writers & artists treated krypton as though it was no more advanced than 20th century earth.  It's also possible that krypton secretly suppressed space travel for many centuries (or millenia).  Imagine that krypton's leaders had known for a very very long time about the powers that kryptonians have when under a yellow star.  Imagine also that they had hints of how vast that power truly is.  Super-powered kryptonians could destroy entire star systems with incredible ease.  Imagine that a kryptonian criminal manages to leave their star system.  He (or she) could destroy countless star systems before being stopped.  Also he might decide to be the only one to have kryptonian powers.  He looks back at krypton's sun with his telescopic vision.  He then adds his heat vision to the mix & makes krypton's sun go super-nova.  Would krypton's leaders want to allow anyone to leave krypton?  It could be that the science council did secretly believe Jor-El's claims.  They just believed that it was better for krypton (& its people) to die, than to inflict billions of nigh-omnipotent super-powered kryptonians on the universe.

It was explained in the comics that Kal's ship had a warp or hyper drive.  That drive was not perfect it opened a spacial rift that allowed an unspecified portion of krypton's mass to follow kal's ship to earth's star system.

Julian, i also read that cary bates story.  Krypton was implied (by that story) to be within 50 light years of earth.  In the 70s DC largely claimed that Earth-1 Superman started his career as an 8 year old Superboy circa 1944.  And in the 70s they also had stories with a 14-16 year old Superboy in the early-mid 1930s. 

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 03:18:37 AM »

>>
     Julian, i also read that cary bates story.  Krypton was implied (by that story) to be within 50 light years of earth.  In the 70s DC largely claimed that Earth-1 Superman started his career as an 8 year old Superboy circa 1944.  And in the 70s they also had stories with a 14-16 year old Superboy in the early-mid 1930s. <<

Well, actually, in the 70s DC decided Superboy's teen years were in the 1950s (moved up from the 1930s)...

Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 03:34:25 AM »

It's also possible that krypton secretly suppressed space travel for many centuries (or millenia).  Imagine that krypton's leaders had known for a very very long time about the powers that kryptonians have when under a yellow star.  Imagine also that they had hints of how vast that power truly is.  Super-powered kryptonians could destroy entire star systems with incredible ease.  Imagine that a kryptonian criminal manages to leave their star system.  He (or she) could destroy countless star systems before being stopped.  Also he might decide to be the only one to have kryptonian powers.  He looks back at krypton's sun with his telescopic vision.  He then adds his heat vision to the mix & makes krypton's sun go super-nova.  Would krypton's leaders want to allow anyone to leave krypton?  It could be that the science council did secretly believe Jor-El's claims.  They just believed that it was better for krypton (& its people) to die, than to inflict billions of nigh-omnipotent super-powered kryptonians on the universe.

I know that somewhere Kypton frowned on space travel as well as aliens (that latter point was the story that introduced Mon-El - right here on this board).  But, what a stunning idea to think that this was all preplanned to keep Kryptonians from getting out into space.  I makes sense in the sequel/recon of Superman's Return to Krypton, post-crisis (the Brainiac 13 created Krypton) - but what a neat angle for overall Kryptonian isolationism.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L