superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where WAS Krypton in the Universe?  (Read 20926 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 05:41:03 AM »

I think Julian's Doc Savage/Jor-El analogy is apt --Jor-El was perhaps the greatest scientific genius and adventurer in Krypton's history (and perhaps in the entire galaxy).  The invention of the Phantom Zone and Jor's interstellar adventures are indications that he could create FTL or even warp drives.

(I would like to see a brain-off between Jor and Lex Luthor!)

On the question of Krypton's distance from Earth, as usual Supermanica is very helpful in terms of canonical truth:

The distance from Earth to Krypton has never been measured with absolute certainty, but scientist Mel Evans has estimated the "probable distance at 0.317 light years" (S No. 136/2, Apr 1960: "The Secret of Kryptonite!").

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Krypton#Astronomical_and_Planetary_Details

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 06:15:07 PM »

Quote from: llozymandias
A lot of things about how krypton was depicted (in the 70s & 80s most of all) never made any logical sense.  Too often in the bronze age the writers & artists treated krypton as though it was no more advanced than 20th century earth.

I think I know what you mean, but this has more to do with the portrayal of what they share with us, their humanity. For all the advanced technology, they are as human as us, with myths, legends, superstitions, customs and cultures, and certainly all of our foibles.

Actually i was referring to how krypton's levels of science & technology were too often depicted.

I think Julian's Doc Savage/Jor-El analogy is apt --Jor-El was perhaps the greatest scientific genius and adventurer in Krypton's history (and perhaps in the entire galaxy).  The invention of the Phantom Zone and Jor's interstellar adventures are indications that he could create FTL or even warp drives.

Jor-El didn't invent/create the phantom zone.  He discovered it.
He invented the phantom zone projector.

(I would like to see a brain-off between Jor and Lex Luthor!)

I see Lex as having the greater intellect.  Jor started with kryptonian science & technology.  He started with knowledge centuries (or many millenia) ahead of earth.  I place kal's intellect being somewhere between Jor & Lex.  Kal was self-taught in science.  He learned kryptonian science & technology by studying any example of kryptonian tech that he found.

On the question of Krypton's distance from Earth, as usual Supermanica is very helpful in terms of canonical truth:

The distance from Earth to Krypton has never been measured with absolute certainty, but scientist Mel Evans has estimated the "probable distance at 0.317 light years" (S No. 136/2, Apr 1960: "The Secret of Kryptonite!").

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Krypton#Astronomical_and_Planetary_Details

I think that it was assumed (by evans) that Kal's ship travelled at sub-light speeds.  

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 07:24:03 PM »

I'm just not buying it...either Jor-El found this technology like in the World of Krypton story (and that seems really ad hoc and goofy to me) or he invented faster-than-light travel (possibly impossible according to physics) but could not come up with a way of saving more citizens a few months earlier.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »

As I understand it, the FTL drive was easy.  It was ratcheting all those bolts (riveting all those rivets?) that was the hard part.  That and the crying baby keeping him awake and all those Science Council meetings and visiting time travellers that prevented the work getting done anytime sooner.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 05:52:15 AM »

Perhaps Krypton was only 27 light years away or so (Maggin goes with Antares IIRC), but some force surrounded its solar system with a space warp to prevent another "Kryptonians Gone Wild" incident.  FTL was harder in the Kryptonian solar system than anywhere else because of the containment field.     Think of what Galactus did with the Silver Surfer, only on a bigger scale.

Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 03:53:17 AM »

As I understand it, the FTL drive was easy.  It was ratcheting all those bolts (riveting all those rivets?) that was the hard part.  That and the crying baby keeping him awake and all those Science Council meetings and visiting time travellers that prevented the work getting done anytime sooner.

That and trying not to use any of that worthless gold in the prototype.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L