superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:16:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where WAS Krypton in the Universe?  (Read 20967 times)
Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:51:48 AM »

I believe at one point it was stated that Kypton was on the exact oppersite side of the sun from Earth

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 08:19:02 AM »

>I find it odd that if you're going to place Krypton 27 light years from Earth, why create a permanent
Look at http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/nearstar.html
This gives a list of the nearest stars to the Sun. Quite a few red stars, but not sure if they any are red giants.

>And the color of the sun was no factor in Kryptonians having super-powers.  So Krypton could have >been right here in this solar system with no conflict.
I'd find it difficult to give up on one of the constant mentioned facts about Krytpon, namely it orbits a red star.

Also, when people tried to "explain" Superman's powers, I think his invulnerabilty was explained by the Sun being a yellow star?

It is difficult to reconcile Krypton having just discovered rocket flight and then Jor-El building one to send his son on a journey to Earth (OK, he at least tried his design first with Krypto!).

I don't know if someone can figure out perhaps the rocket somehow using the Phantom Zone projectors that Jor-El invented?

Unfortunately, can't have Krypton in the same orbit as Earth, but at the exact other side of the Sun. The Earth's orbit is ellipitical and we'd see it sometime or other.

Cheers, Jimmy-Neutron
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:23:23 AM »

Yes, it's pretty clear that Krypton has to be in a different solar system. Superman gets his powers from our sun, for one thing, and Kryptonians don't have super-powers on their home planet (I suppose you could explain that by saying that Krypton might be very distant from the sun, but then it would be a glacial planet, and it is in fact shown to have huge tropical jungles). I prefer to think of it as being in a distant galaxy, and the ol' wormhole conveniently gets rid of all the uncomfortable science.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 12:12:44 PM »

Superman gets his powers from our sun, for one thing, and Kryptonians don't have super-powers on their home planet (I suppose you could explain that by saying that Krypton might be very distant from the sun, but then it would be a glacial planet, and it is in fact shown to have huge tropical jungles).

actually, they did during the golden age: http://superman.nu/tales2/adventurestrip/

it was later recon into Earth-2: http://superman.nu/tales2/e2-origin/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »

Krypton in the Solar System might have been a cool idea for Golden Age Superman, but we're all used to the Red Sun/Yellow Sun explanation for powers that by this time, there's just no ditching it.

As for how Krypton could be rocket-free but Jor-El invents a lightspeed or faster ship...we have to remember that technology wasn't the reason that rocketry was not common on Krypton. It was the result of a nightmarish combination of environmental problems with social ones: for instance, the Wegethor disaster discouraged rocketry the same way on Earth that the Hindenburg disaster meant that lighter-than-air travel was mostly abandoned.

There was also the Zazura, a race of bloodsucking space creatures that live around Krypton. Superbaby's ship survived only because it had a red ore that repelled them.

Also, remember: Jor-El had contact with Daxamites, a space-travelling race, and had a very, very, very close opportunity to inspect their rocket technology.

Also, what Permanus said. Ever read a WORLD OF KRYPTON backup? Man, that dude Jor-El was the Doc Savage of Krypton. It makes sense he'd have a couple extra tricks up his sleeve he didn't share with the fuddy-duddies.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »

>Krypton in the Solar System might have been a cool idea for Golden Age Superman, but we're all used to >the Red Sun/Yellow Sun explanation for powers that by this time, there's just no ditching it.
These were interesting stories to recall, but I agree there is no ditching the Red Sun.

Also, would need to explain why the people in Kandor don't have superpowers? And why would make an artificial red sun so that they have day and night time?

>As for how Krypton could be rocket-free but Jor-El invents a lightspeed or faster ship...we have to >remember that technology wasn't the reason that rocketry was not common on Krypton. It was the
The only problem with introducing a lightspeed or faster ship is kryptonite? I suppose it might be argued that as Krytpon explodes, various amounts of kryponite is caught in the "wake" of the ship? Alternatively if Jor-El also created a worm-hole, the kryponite could have passed through that as well.

Why the sudden leap in rocket technology? Perhaps they did have rocket technology at one time but forgot about it as other, more convenient, forms of transportation were discovered? However, no mention of (eg) transmat beams on Krypton in any story I can remember.

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »

Its comics, there are going to be problems with the science.  I don't care particularly, but the color of the light on the electromagnetic spectrum that a human eye can see from a star is not really a very good explanation for power or invulnerability.  Speed of light travel, if it ever becomes truly possible, is not really analogous to going to helium dirigibles and airplanes after a hydrogen explosion, I don't mind the idea that Jor-El could go from his own rocket technology to technology that may strain the boundaries of universal physics in a couple of years - but its a comic's leap of imagination and shattering of the realistic.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »

Im with ME-L on this.

To paraphrase Marlon-El, "This is not reality -- it's fantasy."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L