superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:59:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The first Superboy comic  (Read 13115 times)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »

Quote from: Lee Semmens
As for what Daniels wrote in Superman: The Complete History, he may not have been allowed by DC (or their lawyers) to say that Siegel wrote the story, particularly if the book was commissioned by DC.

Quote from: Aldous
Isn't that ridiculous? He either did or he didn't. Love him or hate him, facts are facts.

But that's just the point, DC are not interested in the fact of whether or not Siegel wrote the first Superboy story, they have steadfastly denied him and Joe Shuster credit for the creation of Superboy and are not going to admit in print that they did (and certainly not in any book that has been commissioned or approved by them), as they may potentially lose many millions in their current legal wrangle with Siegel's heirs.

That is why, at the start of each episode of Smallville appears the carefully phrased byline: "Superman created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster", not "Superboy created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster".

People who are more knowledgeable (or have access to the facts) than I am in this area seem to be generally in consensus that Siegel wrote the first Superboy story, which is good enough for me, although admittedly I'd be more comfortable with citations of their source or sources, but one very rarely sees footnotes, even in scholarly publications about comics.

It is of course quite possible that part of the story at least may have been rewritten by someone else (maybe the part that you, Aldous, think to be un-Siegel-like), more likely than not by the editor, in this case, Jack Schiff.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:40:42 PM by Lee Semmens » Logged
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 01:40:34 PM »

It's odd that there's even an argument about who created Superboy, when you think of it, because he's clearly identified as the same person as Superman, only younger. It's the same guy. How would it look if I wrote a book called The adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn When They Grew Up and claimed to have come up with the characters myself?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 03:06:39 AM »

And then sue the estate of Samuel Clemens somehow!
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 02:47:20 AM »

It's odd that there's even an argument about who created Superboy, when you think of it, because he's clearly identified as the same person as Superman, only younger. It's the same guy. How would it look if I wrote a book called The adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn When They Grew Up and claimed to have come up with the characters myself?

While in a literary sense they're the same person, from a legal standpoint, it's been ruled that Superman and Superboy are two distinct characters---thus the seperate legal battles over the two characters...

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 04:24:07 AM »

My understanding of this whole shenanigan is as follows. Maybe it will help:

Siegel conceived of Superboy as early as 1938, but DC rejected the idea. He mentioned wanting to publish Superboy stories to the Saturday Evening Post in 1941. From my understanding, DC still refused, but while he was away at war, DC published his Superboy stori(es?) anyway, in More Fun Comics issues beginning in 1945. He and Shuster sued in 1946, and the matter wasn't settled until 1948; meanwhile, DC published "The Origin of Superman" in Superman #53 that excluded Superboy from the origin altogether. (John Byrne later used this origin as his justification that the "original" Superman was not Superboy.)

However, after the Siegels won the lawsuit giving them the rights to Superboy as a separate character, they sold the copyright to DC. Having the rights to Superboy again, DC published Superboy #1 in 1949 and re-included him into Superboy's origin, until the reboot in 1986. Superboy's copyright term expired in 2004 and the character returned to the Siegels, fueling the current battles over Smallville royalties.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L