superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:01:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More news from Kurt Busiek  (Read 9576 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »

As indicated in Sinestro Corps Special (which I HIGHLY recommend.....there's a lot going on, including a major "break-through", so to speak) , there are 52 parallel earths in THIS universe, as well as 52 parallel UNIVERSES.

so what would that be, 52 x 52 x 52 = 140,608 earths?   Are my calculations correct? 

I don't really get this; shouldn't there just be one earth per universe? I mean, the earths are parallel by virtue of them being in parallel universes. Aren't they?

Imagine you have a Universe that likes to make cigarettes out of Earths, and it takes 52 Earths to make one cigarette. This Universe has 52 Earths and it has 51 friends with 52 Earths apiece. Oh heck, I forgot to tell you one is supposed to treat the Earths like cigarette butts. Look, forget it, this'll take too long; either way, the answer is always one more than you thought it was, so the correct answer would have been 53, if I'd even bothered to ask it properly.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »

As indicated in Sinestro Corps Special (which I HIGHLY recommend.....there's a lot going on, including a major "break-through", so to speak) , there are 52 parallel earths in THIS universe, as well as 52 parallel UNIVERSES.

This explanation might be the hinted Megaverse. Guess we'll have to wait and see.  Wink

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »

I belive what he meant to write was:

there are 52 parallel earths in THIS multiverse, as well as 52 parallel MULTIVERSES.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 12:18:12 AM »

Yes, one Earth per universe.

52 parallel universes (ie, 52 earths) per multiverse.

52 multiverses per megaverse

52 megaverses per omniverse

and so on up to the hyperverse.

We've only had 2 Crisises so far (with 52 countdowns and other tie-in serieses per Crisis), that leaves 50 more Crisises, each having their own countdowns and tie-in serieses - should keep DC busy for a while.

So I get that the number of Earths is 5252, which is roughly 1.71 X 1089.  Either way, it's quite a tidy sum, but still just a finite number.

The main problem here is that the original Crisis series was called "Crisis on Infinite Earths," not "Crisis on 52 Earths," so I don't see how DC can justify 52, or even 5252, as the cut-off.

They should really increase it to something like

52525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252

which is 52 raised to the power of 52, 52 times.

Now that's thinking big!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:30:37 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 12:57:24 AM »

Minivans?  Like Omni?   Infiniti?   

Too many !  Not Enough ! 
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 01:05:20 AM »

Minivans?  Like Omni?   Infiniti?   

Hey, that's right!  I forgot about the other direction - the miniverses are within the universes, the microverses within the miniverses, etc.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 01:08:15 AM »

"oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate!"

Alice - Alice in Wonderland
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 04:00:33 AM »

Mike: I really enjoy seeing Clark talk through his problems with Lana & Lois in this issue. I do wish Clark was sometimes shown hanging out with guy friends (non-superhero). It seems his pal Jimmy is his main male friend but Jimmy often is shown as too immature to be really there for Clark. Any thoughts about this?

Kurt: I have to admit, I haven't really thought about it. Maybe we'll have to do something about that...

One of the many reasons that I liked Vartox so much was because of the close friendship that he and Superman shared.  They were equals and they talked about real things.  Vartox was the only person that Superman was able to have no secrets from - he could just relax, open up, and be himself.  I think one of the reasons that Superman is now much less uptight and more laid-back about things than he was in the 80s is because of his friendship with Vartox.

Either that or because the 80s never happened.  I forget.

Not sure if this info has been posted.

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=669642&postcount=1387

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L