superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 10417 times)
miceland
Superman's Pal

« on: June 22, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »

I have a Captain Marvel question, is this an appropriate place to ask or is there a Captain Marvel board that anyone may know about?

Thanks much.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:19:42 PM »

It certainly is the right place!

In fact, there's been so much recent Captain Marvel discussion that someone on this forum said we should rename the site "Captain Marvel Through the Ages!"

I've decided to go with it and have made a new forum just for the Big Red Cheese.

Here it is.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:46:27 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
miceland
Superman's Pal

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »

Perfect.

Sorry that I did not find the proper place on my own.

So I am trying to find a particular Capt. Marvel comic however I don't have a lot to go on.

Billy is finds himself through the hall with the seven deadly sins He sees the Elders standing on steps. It is revealed that Shazam is an acronym for these elders. Solomon is one of them Hercules is another after that I'm not sure. It appears to be Capt. Marvel's origin story. BUT, its not in black and white. It is full color printed on pulp some time during the sixties or seventies.

I don't know if the other Marvels are there or not.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »

This tale was reprinted and retold quite a few times. Most likey it was Shazam! #1 from 1973, with of all people, Superman on the cover! The story is called "In the Beginning ..." it was written by Denny O'Neil with artwork by none other than C. C. Beck. It is a retelling of his origin tale.

cover art:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:30 PM »

...and that is a perfect image to open Cap'n Marvel's new section with.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
miceland
Superman's Pal

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »

I assume that Mahr-vell must have been on the scene at the time for them to put ORIGINAL on the front cover.

Thank you for the help. I will see how much money it is on A popular auction website.

-mice
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »

Perfect.
It appears to be Capt. Marvel's origin story. BUT, its not in black and white. It is full color printed on pulp some time during the sixties or seventies.

Just a quick note: Captain Marvel's origin story in Whiz Comics #2 (1939) was in full color, not black and white.  An earlier version of the story was printed in Black and White for copyright purposes a few months before Whiz #2 but copies of that story were not distributed --they were kept in filing cabinets by the publisher.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
miceland
Superman's Pal

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »

Its less likely that I would have an original than a reprint. Comics came to me mostly purchased from the supermarket or 7/11 so it was catch as catch can.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L