superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonTomorrow's Lesson!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:25:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel Vs DC MOVIES  (Read 15696 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 10:23:19 PM »

The best comic book movie of all time though - Superman.
I firmly believe that. How did they get it so right? It just was perfect.

I'm with you on that one. I've seen the film several times, of course, and even with close to thirty years since I saw it first, it remains the best (if not the most faithful) comic book adaptation I can call to mind, with the first Spider-Man coming a close second. They hit the jackpot with the story, the effects and the casting - Margot Kidder was an inspired choice, for one.

Oh, if only Gene Hackman had worn the green and purple pyjamas in it!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 06:25:43 AM »

Marvel's had their share of duds--Daredevil and Hulk come to mind. But at least they are trying.

That's purely a matter of opinion; who's to say who is trying more than the other?
By "trying" I meant that we've seen more Marvel movies than DC movies of late. Marvel's had Spider-Man (x3), X-Men (x3), FF (x2), Daredevil, Hulk, Electra, and Ghost Rider. DC's had Superman, Batman, and Catwoman. It seems that Marvel is more interested in making movies than DC is.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »

Keep in mind that those X-Men movies wouldn't have happened without all those pre-Batman Begins Batman movies that everyone seems to have forgotten about.  And that it was the Christopher Reeve Superman movies that pretty much created the genre.  Also on DC's side was Steel and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 07:54:17 PM »

Yup - and slightly off-topic, you also have Superman's TV series in the 50's creating the live action superhero genre as well.  Actually, you also have Superman to thank for reinventing TV Superhero live action genre's 2 times - Smallville being the most productive of the lot.

Superman rocks!!!!

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 12:42:14 AM »

Also on DC's side was Steel and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta.

Well, I haven't seen Steel, and I think I can do without it; as far as LOEG  and Vendetta go, talk about the films completely missing the point. The immortal Moore's work simply doesn't translate well to the screen, because it's too complex and political.

It's dreadful to think that when the Watchmen film comes out, I'll probably go and see it (or watch it, more appropriately), but I know it will be awful and I will hate it. And I will hate myself for seeing it. There's just no way to break this cycle of self-hatred.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
miceland
Superman's Pal

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 07:28:20 AM »

I think the Supes TV shows definitely count. The problem is that WB is kinda ghetto and while Smallville is entertaining. I can't help notice about how targeted towards teens it is. Not a bad thing but I am not a teen.

DC seems to favor its TV shows lately. WB in general seems to opt for the little screen first. Who knows, maybe its making them more money. Its just not as satisfying for the fans. IMHO.

Marvel has associated themselves with Universal and NBC. They seem to have more creative control. I think Stan Lee has made some shrewd decisions and put Marvel in a really good place to make the movies they want to. I wish the same was true for DC. With the right sponsorship they could really make some great movies and give Marvel a run for their money. Who knows, it might make the Marvel movies suck less.

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 07:35:27 AM »

Quote from: Permanus
And I will hate myself for seeing it. There's just no way to break this cycle of self-hatred.

Grin

Quote from: Permanus
It's dreadful to think that when the Watchmen film comes out, I'll probably go and see it (or watch it, more appropriately), but I know it will be awful and I will hate it.

There's going to be a "Watchmen" film? That's ridiculous. How can that be? How will they separate the comic book story from the art? Where does one end and the other begin? "Watchmen" would be even more of a problem than other super-hero movies. It's only suited to the one medium.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 07:39:37 AM »

"Watchmen" would be even more of a problem than other super-hero movies. It's only suited to the one medium.

That's exactly what Alan Moore said! His words were something to the effect that it's something you sit down to read in a comfortable arm chair with a steaming cup of coffee. I can't really see how you could do it either - there are so many details and you have to keep going back to check them, like the little substory with the sugar cubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L