superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wizard Cover: Ross Superman & Power Girl  (Read 29830 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: June 26, 2007, 03:51:33 PM »

Possible Spoilers for an upcoming storyarc?

http://www.alexrossart.com/rossreport.asp?id=324

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »

Good Lord, could his Power Girl look any dumpier?

A few more pics like this and PG's fan base of drooling pubescents should dwindle down to nothing.

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

Never liking Power Girl AT ALL, I have to say that this rendering is odd, a square jaw and strong lines on the face don't match the already odd "two basketballs" in the shirt look.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »

She looks like a slightly younger Ross Superman in drag.  Except he's got narrower hips.

This looks like a job for...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 07:40:23 PM »

Actually, I luv PG.  I hate the Ross interpretation however.  Give me Andy Ha!'s version any day of the week!

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 11:09:30 PM »

It's unfortunate Alex Ross' interpretation of Power Girl is so masculine. Even his Wonder Woman is rather "muscular". Somewhere along the way, DC artists began rendering powerful females with disproportionate cut appearances. I recall an issue of JLA, where Wonder Woman was dating Bruce Wayne and she looked rather ridiculous. On the other hand some warrior women, such as Big Barda, work.

Back to Power Girl, I always figured she was curvy and not worried about her biceps. Wasn't she based off Jayne Mansfield?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 03:12:17 PM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:27:56 AM »

Back to Power Girl, I always figured she was curvy and not worried about her biceps. Wasn't she based off Jayne Mansfield?

Was she? I have no idea. I always assumed that she embodied the desirable-but-unattainable ethic, a sort of self-punishing fanboy thing. It says a lot that Ross makes her more masculine, but with the evident feminine features: it's basically the idea that if a woman doesn't fancy you, she must be a lesbian. Or am I getting far too psychosexual?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »

I think I understand my ire toward Power Girl more now...I actually wasn't a fan of a ton of Earth 2 characters being introduced, but the idea that she was so outrageously proportioned just seemed silly.  The muscled effect of all heroes lately leaves me cold too. Cool
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L