superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:15:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wizard Cover: Ross Superman & Power Girl  (Read 29825 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 04:46:08 PM »

Im a big fan of Andrew Loomis' swork and book as is Steve Rude.  And both knew how to draw women well and sexy without tending toward freakish.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »

Oh, and as for PG not wearing a Kryptonian symbol, don't forget for 20+ years she wasn't Kryptonian, and given DC's slippery grasp on continuity, it's probably better they leave themselves an "out" for the next time they change her origin, probably by Christmas.

it will turn out that she was, in fact a Skrull all along.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 06:29:45 PM »

Oh, and as for PG not wearing a Kryptonian symbol, don't forget for 20+ years she wasn't Kryptonian, and given DC's slippery grasp on continuity, it's probably better they leave themselves an "out" for the next time they change her origin, probably by Christmas.

it will turn out that she was, in fact a Skrull all along.

Or a clone........... Shocked
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 10:06:32 PM »

Power Girl's a man, baby!!!! LOL!  Grin

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 02:49:15 AM »

The original reason PG didn't wear the S-shield (which pre-Crisis *wasn't* a Kryptonian symbol) was that she wanted to stand out on her own as a superheroine, and not be confused or compared with her famous cousin, Superman.

Judging from the alternative "chest window" choice Kara made, I gather she found another, erm, "manner" to "stand out"... Undecided

Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 07:08:46 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZgj8UyNN9c

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2007, 03:34:14 PM »

The original reason PG didn't wear the S-shield (which pre-Crisis *wasn't* a Kryptonian symbol) was that she wanted to stand out on her own as a superheroine, and not be confused or compared with her famous cousin, Superman.

Judging from the alternative "chest window" choice Kara made, I gather she found another, erm, "manner" to "stand out"... Undecided

She's such a "bouyant" personality.

It's hard for her not to keep her chin up.

She faces her opposition "chest forward", and "torpedoes" to victory.

Her "assets" speak volumes about her.

I guess one could say that she found a much more *ahem* "classic" symbol, then.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »

I think Nightwing is right on the money with this.  I've never found any of Ross' faces particularly expressive or interesting (or appealing, aside from maybe his Superman).  He is at his best when his faces are doing that sort of mournful, frowning, anger thing.  His costumes show up the riduculous nature of superhero costumes (that's why his best are armoured or "toga'd" heroes).  He has no gift for portraying action --unless you enjoy the spectacle of falling statues.

To his credit, by copying the faces of models, he at least is giving a sort of variety to the heroes he portrays (now if only he could use more models).  In one way, the plain-ness of his characters is more realistic:  who (besides How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way and 1950s Madison Avenue) says heroes always have to be classically beautiful?

I think the actual Wizard cover is not the worse thing he has done --E2 Superman and Power Girl are related, no?  Why shouldn't they look similar.  Power Girl is a ridiculous character anyway --nothing to get upset about at this late date.  Just sad.

And I think that Wally Wood liked to draw over-endowed women and didn't need a grudge against DC for an excuse, no matter how he may have tried to rationalize it later.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L