superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animation First Look: Spider-Man & Doctor Strange  (Read 5327 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: June 27, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »

Buh buh buuuuuhhhh Spectacular Spider-Man swings onto WB the first quarter of 2008. Check out a teaser image:

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=194&itemid=11270

Doctor Strange's DVD debut is slated for 8.14.2007. Video as well as images and interviews are conjured at: 

http://www.marvel.com/doctorstrange

Spider-Man appears to be the current Kids WB house style animation. Storywise, I am reminded of Ultimate Spider-Man. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Doctor Strange doesn't look terribly interesting. Too bad, Marvel animation didn't go with classic Doctor Strange designs. Sad I'll chalk this one up as Ultimate Doctor Strange.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »

Doctor Strange doesn't look terribly interesting. Too bad, Marvel animation didn't go with classic Doctor Strange designs.

Indeed.  I'm getting used to live-action productions changing everyone's costumes, but why couldn't they do a freaking cartoon with the right outfit?

Wow, can you imagine if someone actually made an effort to do a Strange movie with designs faithful to Ditko's originals, including those wacky Dali-esque dimensions?  Now that I would pay to see.

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:14:02 PM »

Wow, can you imagine if someone actually made an effort to do a Strange movie with designs faithful to Ditko's originals, including those wacky Dali-esque dimensions?  Now that I would pay to see.

That would be an instance where CGI effects would really help. It would be wild to see on screen and give the movie a look that would stand out. I'd watch it.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:14:06 PM »

Leaving out Doctor Strange's cape is a pretty sad choice; it's how he flies, dammit, it's lighter than air. But like MW says, this seems to be Ultimate Doctor Strange, which means that he has to look like a commando soldier with ammo belts around his shoulder. Marvel seems to be leaning towards the militaristic look lately, both in its Ultimates line and regular books.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:58:10 AM »

they both look rather lame I must say.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 12:22:28 PM »

Leaving out Doctor Strange's cape is a pretty sad choice; it's how he flies, dammit, it's lighter than air. But like MW says, this seems to be Ultimate Doctor Strange, which means that he has to look like a commando soldier with ammo belts around his shoulder. Marvel seems to be leaning towards the militaristic look lately, both in its Ultimates line and regular books.
He's got a cape, at least in a little bit of the trailer I saw.  I'm just hoping they animate it like a cape and don't try to turn him into Spawn.

The recent animated movies can draw on Ultimate elements, but I doubt that'll be too much of a factor here.  Ultimate Doctor Strange is a confused twentysomething vaguely-slacker sort with a daddy complex, daddy having been the Sorcerer Supreme until he mysteriously vanished.  Strange Jr. is   a catalyst and X factor in a given "mystic" story, not powerful enough to be a consistent deus ex machina upsetting the balance of ammo belts. 

The problem with this animated Doctor Strange looks like the same one they have with Iron Man.  The origin itself isn't -that- interesting.  It's all the cosmic trippy stuff that happens afterwards.  But, they're trying to prolong the origin and tie it to the big bads he fights at the end, and it just turns wrong.  What made their Avengers take work in that there were so many characters that they had to start out with most everyone as a hero.

RonFez.net
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 09:23:17 PM »

Seems like everyones getting the anime treatment these days doesn't it. But I guess it what the kid's like.  I can't complain much since the 90's were probably the best time for superheroic animation.  From spiderman, to batman, to the x-men.  At least they resembled comic books.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L