superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What movie would you like made into a comic?  (Read 10798 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 27, 2007, 09:46:53 PM »

Man, it's been a while since the glory days of Len Wein, Roy Thomas and Marv Wolfman alternating on STAR WARS (the comic that singlehandedly saved Marvel) to say nothing of THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES, arguably the best work of Dave Michelinie's storied career.

But I was just thinking about the recent, enjoyable Moonstone Comics series based on the BUCKAROO BANZAI "docudrama," and the Moorcock/Walt Simonson ELRIC comics, and it occurs to me: what movie would make a great comic?

GOONIES! Man, a comic based on their continuing, Jonny Quest/Hardy Boys adventures would really be terrific, as long as they don't get someone like Chris Sprouse to make them all "Big Foot." Just find the latest incarnation of Joe Kubert or John Buscema, and picture the covers: Chunk and Mouth in the lap of a giant demonic idol with a ruby in their hands. Or they shine their flashlights on the rotting skeleton of a Spanish Conquistador with a sign that says "ISLA DE MUERTE - TRAVELLERS GO BACK."

As for the Moonstone BB comics...I loved BUCKAROO BANZAI. Almost every line in it is quotable, and it is funny and incomprehensible at the same time. It was able to create a unique world. Still, I will admit...I was somewhat disappointed in the comic because it maintains the movie's comedy tone.

Let me explain that:

For years we've been waiting for BUCKAROO BANZAI AGAINST THE WORLD CRIME LEAGUE, which promised to be a much darker, serious, exciting film. It would still be "gonzo" and identifiable as Buckaroo's world (one script I've read had Penny Pretty die by being choked by her own hair; I wonder what the peabrains at "Women in Refrigerators" would make of that!  Grin ) but it would feature Buckaroo's nemesis Hanoi Xan. In fact, the creators of BUCKAROO BANZAI cut scenes from EIGHTH DIMENSION because they felt Hanoi Xan's name shouldn't even be mentioned in a comedy!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 01:13:10 AM »

What movie would you like made into a comic?

Possibly one of my favourites, Julian: "Leon" (Luc Besson), but with the proviso that the creator would have to be European, perhaps Jean Giraud, who I think would get it right. The film is like a comic already, in some ways, but it would need a skilled artist-writer to preserve the personalities of the characters, and their relationships with each other in that warped world.

Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:45:20 AM »

I guess I have a short list...

1. Ultraviolet - I thought it was nifty and would make a decent comic,
2. Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow - God, did I love this movie!  It's been a while since the great cliffhanger books Dark Horse used to put out.  This would be great!

Like I said, short list.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:24:46 AM »

Lost Boys, the teenage vampires movie by Shumacker and Donner, would be great. Itīs in the same spirit of Goonies.

And thereīs something about John Hughes 80īs movies tha would translate really well in the  Oni Press style or slice of life comics...

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 08:55:32 AM »

The Third Man might make a pretty good black-and-white comic, if you found the right artist.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 12:39:14 PM »

Groundhog Day could be an awesome comic.

Why did he loop in time?
How long did he loop in time? 
Does he remember it all?
Are there others living loops in time?
Will he loop again?

There's lots of possibilities.  Writers can have him experience interesting stuff during the day but at the end of the day his world reboots, so no one writer can really screw his universe up too badly.  Do it as a limited-run series with a bunch of different writers, call it "Deleted Scenes". 

maggiethecat
Superman Fan

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 08:39:53 PM »

What movie would you like made into a comic?

Possibly one of my favourites, Julian: "Leon" (Luc Besson), but with the proviso that the creator would have to be European, perhaps Jean Giraud, who I think would get it right. The film is like a comic already, in some ways, but it would need a skilled artist-writer to preserve the personalities of the characters, and their relationships with each other in that warped world.

I agree! A fabulous movie... A great gypsy-esque puppet theater group here in Berlin have actually made it into an hour length puppet theater.  And it is great! (www.das-helmi.de)

to add... fight club as a comic!

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 05:48:01 AM »

It's funny that Julian mentions Marv Wolfman in his initial post: when I was a kid, my best friend told me that they were making a Teen Titans movie.  I was ecstatic:  my favourite comic by Wolfman and Perez, soon to be a live action epic!  Imagine my disappointment, despite being a lover of Greek mythology, when Clash of the Titans came out a few months later.

Movies that should be comics:

Kung Fu Hustle is my favourite superhero movie.  I wonder if it could be a good comic?  It would definitely be a mediocre manga.

Sword of the Atom: weird sci-fi fantasy adventure!

Ali vs Superman:  I read a Comics Journal interview with Neil Adams where he said this would make a good movie and haven't been able to get the concept out of my head for 20 years.

Fantastic Four: done as a sad s-f story about radiation poisoning, mutation, and lost love: Solaris meets Scanners, maybe?

My Super Ex-Girlfriend: what I experienced as a failed romantic-comedy/superhero parody with a few laughs and a high concept premise would be hailed as a genius high concept comic, if the comic came first.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:55:09 AM by TELLE » Logged

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L