superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the first time since 1998..  (Read 4583 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« on: July 01, 2007, 05:22:15 AM »

I bought 2 new comic books.. Flash 13 (2 covers, so 2 copies) and Action 850.

I was really impressed by Action 850... what a great read.  It really made me feel like the DCU has shifted to a new universe and everything post COIE and pre IC was it's own continuity and we're back in a new "Golden" age.

Despite the high prices of comics these days ($2.99 an issue??? Action was $3.99!!! I stopped collecting in '87) I am REALLY tempted to start collecting again.. at least the Superman and JSA titles.  I'll see what All-Flash is about and depending on budget, get the Flash, too...

Man, I used to spend $3.00 for 5 issues back in my prime....
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:27:52 AM »

Yeah, it's amazing how much they cost nowadays. You remember DC's old slogan, "Comics aren't just for kids any more"? Well, there's a reason for that: unless you're gainfully employed or financially independent, you can't afford them.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
dca5347
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 01:28:51 PM »

Yeah, it's amazing how much they cost nowadays. You remember DC's old slogan, "Comics aren't just for kids any more"? Well, there's a reason for that: unless you're gainfully employed or financially independent, you can't afford them.

True,with the amount of money that I got for an allowence($0.50),I could buy either a soda($0.25) and a candy bar($0.15),or 4 comic books($0.48) Shocked
Today It would take the cost of one comic to get a soda & 2 candy bars(Roughly)  Embarrassed

davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »

I don't mean for this thread to be about the cost of comic books, but as a teen-ager, in the early '80's, working a part time minimum wage job, I could collect the whole DC (and a few Marvel) line! Like, $20.00 per month (if that)... the 3 issues I got yesterday were $10.00!

I see the paper is upgraded, as the ink must be... I'm sure artists and writers (and everyone else) is paid pretty well, but I think more folks would collect if the prices were lower...

NOW I see the logic in trade paperback collections...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »

When I was a kid, I would look around for loose change and try to muster a mighty 75 cents! My mom thought that was too much money for a mere comic! Afterall, last time she brought a comic it was only a few pennies.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »

I'd say the real value would be if you would actually read it more than once.

I consider the aforementioned Action 850, and the new Sinestro Corps Special, as examples of issues that I've re-read several times already.  and am sure to go back to at a later date.   Justice too......I've got my money's worth from them !

52 though?  no, not really.  Countdown?   maybe   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 06:20:05 PM by jamespup » Logged
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 05:24:16 PM »

When I was a kid in the '80s, I use to love raiding the back issue bins at the local flea market. Sometimes you got extremely lucky and could get some great stuff from the Bronze Age as low as 10 cents an issue. And they never went above 50 cents for a single issue.

Nowadays, it's more financially sound just to collect trades or go through online comic shops to get a decent discount.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:11:24 PM »

When I was a kid in the '80s, I use to love raiding the back issue bins at the local flea market. Sometimes you got extremely lucky and could get some great stuff from the Bronze Age as low as 10 cents an issue. And they never went above 50 cents for a single issue.

Nowadays, it's more financially sound just to collect trades or go through online comic shops to get a decent discount.

YES! The great dime bin, those were the days. 1980's... LOL! Most of my childhood's comic book collection came from dime bins. Later it was turn into quarter bins, and now they have dollar bins.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L