superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page 17 now online!  (Read 16761 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: July 02, 2007, 02:24:53 AM »

Here it is, page 17!

Much is revealed, and Clark learns the cost of playing around without having any superpowers!

Artwork for this one is all Shane.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:54:54 AM »

Yet another great page! The fact that there is a wait between pages reminds me of those old serials.

This web comic will be the stuff of legends once it's complete.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:55:12 PM »

Looks great.  Poor Clark!
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »

Nice looking page...

I don't think Rocks looks much th same on page 17 as on page 3...is that partly an artifact of the original artists as well as the modern artists?
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:05:29 PM »

I don't think Rocks looks much th same on page 17 as on page 3...is that partly an artifact of the original artists as well as the modern artists?

Well, page 3 and page 17 are both by modern artists.  As is is the close-up of him on page 6.  No original artists here at all.

The only original art with Rocks is a small appearance on page 5; three panels on page 13; the forthcoming page 20; and a small appearance on page 21.

The way Rocks looked on pages 3 and 6 is how he looks when Bob Rivard inks Angel's pencils.

Here on 17, it's Shane inking Shane's pencils, so it's possible that Rocks looks different. 

That's what happens when there are different artists drawing the same character.  It's also possible that Shane may have been trying to fuse Angel and Bob's version of Rocks with how he appeared in the original art for the Shuster Studio pages, but that's speculation on my part.

Back when it was just Angel and Bob handling the art chores, and I was considering adding additional artists to the project, I was concerned about having so many different creators in the soup.  I thought that their differences in styles might be a problem, because I wanted to stay faithful to what I thought was a consistent "Joe Shuster" art style in the comic.

But after Bob Hughes explained that there were already different artists who had worked on all the pages back in 1940, that a lot of those pages were in completely different styles from each other, and that none of them was actually done by Joe Shuster - I figured we were only continuing the time-honored Shuster Studio Method and thus being true to the piece.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:32:45 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »

That's kind of exactly what I was thinking but didn't get across correctly. I really like the idea.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:42:23 PM »

That's kind of exactly what I was thinking but didn't get across correctly. I really like the idea.
Wait - which idea do you like?  That Shane may have been trying to combine different styles into one?  Or that there are a bunch of different artists on the story?

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 12:04:49 AM »

I remember when you posted Bob Hughes analysis of the story being a mixture of DC house artists and I like the idea that a little of that is showing up on the modern restoration.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L