superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:21:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Even more varieties of Kryptonite  (Read 13846 times)
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »

According to Wilikpedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptonite_in_Smallville

It seems the TV series has both black and silver kryptonite, with properites differing from supermanica
thomas
Superman's Pal

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »

There was a story with Jimmy Olsen and silver kryptonite. Any idea what that did?

>The author promises that part 3 should be up in a couple of days.
Did the author say which couple of days that would be?
Yeah, that guy stinks!

Part 3 is half written. I'll finish it tonight, I've been meaning to for a long time and just forgot about. It's only about 1 particular piece, it's not really like the first two parts. But yeah.

Thanks for the link, by the way, GR.

My blog. Now featuring thoughts from Leinil Yu, Scott McCloud, Kurt Busiek, Brad Walker, and Evan Dorkin. Seriously!
Man they are slummin' it.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »

Part 3 is half written. I'll finish it tonight, I've been meaning to for a long time and just forgot about. It's only about 1 particular piece, it's not really like the first two parts. But yeah.

Thanks for the link, by the way, GR.

Hey, you're welcome.  I thought the articles were great and I look forward to part 3!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »

I see there are several "atypical" types of Kryptonite that go, as yet unmentioned:

One of these is the "brain drain" variety of Kryptonite that Major Disaster invented, which steals only Superman's mental/intelligence abilities (and presumably other powers that operate based on his mind, like Super-Hypnotism and Super-Aim). Its first and only appearance was in ACTION #509.

There is also Anti-Kryptonite, which killed Kryptonians that don't have powers (and was responsible for the death of the Argo City survivors). Lots of people have speculated that Anti-Kryptonite and Slow Kryptonite may be the same substance.

Alternate universe Kryptonite types:

Earth-3 Kryptonite gives Earth-3 Superman additional powers. Where it comes from is a mystery because...on Earth-3, Krypton didn't explode.

In the Morrison Earth-2 story, Antikryptonite gives Ultraman his powers. We learn also in Busiek's "Syndicate Rules" that Ultraman wisely keeps microcapsules of the stuff, time-released, under his skin.

Quote from: carmine
Black Kryptonite makes so much sense, I am surprised they haven't come up with it earlier

To be fair, the idea of splitting Supergirl into good and evil halves is a very old idea: there was a Silver Age Legion story where Red Kryptonite split Supergirl in two: Supergirl and Satan Girl. Satan Girl fought to survive far longer than the 24 hour period a Red Kryptonite effect could exist.

This brings up a point: as interesting as some of these Kryptonite types are, they're not entirely necessary because of Red Kryptonite, which is a "catch-all" for any kind of transformation and effect (since literally, the stuff can do just about anything to Kryptonians).

Quote from: thomas
This one's here because my friend Jesus thinks it's hilarious.

The Son of Man?  Shocked

Bonus effect, it makes Superman a belligerent drunk who menaces children.

If there's one faction in our society that isn't beaten enough, it's children.

But there is an immediate effect, as evidenced by Superman stealing and wearing Lois' hat. And then a feathered turbin. And then the hat of a Guard of Buckingham Palace. And Napoleaon's hat. And a crown. It doesn't take long for folks to start thinking Supes has gone a little eccentric. And by "eccentric" I mean "out of his rabbit ass mind."

He's still saving the day and what not, but he's doing so by acting in character of whatever hat he's wearing.

What a fascinating and riveting plot. Superman wears strange hats. WHY?

I hate Mort Weisenger. Hate, hate, hate.

Anyway, I'm reading this guy's blog, and some of this is pretty cool. C'mon, the guy dislikes Chuck Austen. +1!

...Wait! Of all of Chuck Austen's many, many flaws, he points out that Chuck "dislikes women." Like every boring blog in history. -1.

Oh, and this is a -2:

http://sayitbackwards.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-bet-otto-binder-was-green-acres-fan.html

God knows I'm hardly a prudish or uptight person at all, but this sort of thing bothers me. "Look, those people are rural and economically disadvantaged! Let's laugh at them!"

Also, the accent? There's a reason most contemporary writers don't "write out" accents. Because if you write "wuz" instead of "was," it shows you look down on the character. There's no reason to write out an accent. If you have an ear for dialogue, their speech can suggest their origins in other ways.

I was just reading Thomas's 100 greatest things about Superman, and it reads like a hall of horrors.

He actually had the SUPERMOBILE on the top 100 things he loves about Superman. -5,000,000!

Even Cary Bates, who wrote the story, hated the Supermobile. Marty Pasko regularly proposed ideas to destroy it.

Marty Pasko was asked about the Supermobile, and his exact words to describe the company that forced him to cram it in? "Those loathesome parasites."

I could tell you the rest, but that about says it all.

Beppo the Super Monkey.

I can understand Krypto being on this list. He's had great moments. And maybe even Comet, because of his tragic love affair.

But Beppo?

Of all the Super-Pets, he was the absolute worst. He added no relationship, and was officially the moment they went too far.

When he punches giant robots.

If I could go in depth here on why Thomas is wrong...

Superman doesn't "punch" things. That's not his M.O.

How would he beat a giant robot? He'd use his x-ray vision to melt wires, or use superspeed to turn a flagpole in a supermagnet.

Superman's a supergenius that makes inventive uses of his powers. A story where Superman throws a punch is a massive failure of the imagination on the part of the writer.

Stories by Otto Binder
Grant Morrison writing him.

KILL! KILL! KILL!

As the portion of my brain inherited from my reptile ancestors just activated, I can conjure no rational thought at this point save the urge to kill.

Except one: Edmond Hamilton, the Planet-Smasher, had more talent in a toenail clipping than that embarassing fool Binder had in his entire body.

Stories by Elliot S! Maggin.
Brainiac's Skull Ship.
The DC Super Heroes action figure line by Mattel.
Superman as a super-genius.
The 70s Superman revamp.
The Superman/Darksied fight in the JLU finale.
The Clark/Lois marriage.
Curt Swan, my Superman artist
Superman and the Mole Men

Hey, wait a minute...all those things are actually GOOD! How'd they get on a list by this no-taste goober?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »

>This brings up a point: as interesting as some of these Kryptonite types are, >they're not entirely necessary because of Red Kryptonite, which is a "catch->all" for any kind of transformation and effect (since literally, the stuff can do

Yes, but the effects of Red-K are unpredictable from one exposure to the next
thomas
Superman's Pal

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 04:23:39 PM »

I was just reading Thomas's 100 greatest things about Superman, and it reads like a hall of horrors.

I never wrote a '100 greatest' list. I wrote a '100 random things I like' list.

When he punches giant robots.

If I could go in depth here on why Thomas is wrong...
I'm mistaken about this having ever happened or I'm mistaken about the fact I enjoy it? I stated an opinion. It's not one you share. That's fine. I didn't say it just to insult you and your sensibilities, sir.

This one's here because my friend Jesus thinks it's hilarious.

The Son of Man?  Shocked

Hey-suess. It's a very common name in the southwestern US. It's wrong to laugh at stereotypical hillbillies, but hey, let's make a joke about the culture of Hispanics and the religion of others.

I can conjure no rational thought at this point save the urge to kill.

You want to murder me for liking things you don't?

Hey, wait a minute...all those things are actually GOOD! How'd they get on a list by this no-taste goober?

Is insulting other users whose tastes differ from your own and declaring your own opinions as fact regular practice here?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:07:30 PM by thomas » Logged

My blog. Now featuring thoughts from Leinil Yu, Scott McCloud, Kurt Busiek, Brad Walker, and Evan Dorkin. Seriously!
Man they are slummin' it.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »

Give it a few months...Julian's super powers have a temporary effect, he will undoubtedly contradict himself with equal vitriol... Grin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 06:08:34 PM »

Is insulting other users whose tastes differ from your own and declaring your own opinions as fact regular practice here?

For him... yes.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L