superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:55:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clark's journalistic ethics  (Read 11744 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:27:04 PM »

I was thinking of a court of law as well.  I can't recall a time, but I assume that evidence gathered by Superman using his abilities is accepted by prosecuting attorneys.  And I wonder if Clark would ever volunteer to testify as Clark.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 11:32:09 PM »

On the sheer matter of journalistic integrity, Clark is clearly flouting the rules, because he is failing to declare his role in the story as an interested party. Journalists often become part of the story - think of Alan Johnston, the BBC reporter who spent four months as a hostage: he becomes part of the story, but he can still report about it since his part is a matter of recorded fact. There's the rather more curious incident I heard of recently, in which a newscaster in Florida reported the break-up of a mayor's marriage without revealing that she was the "other woman": she did report the facts objectively as they appeared, but failed to disclose the whole truth, and that's what journalism is all about (or should be).

On a moral level, though, you can't really fault Clark. Besides the fact that he's a straight-laced sort of chap who probably takes great pains to get the facts right and not embellish on his superfeats, there's also the matter that as Superman, he can't really espouse partisan causes - Superman isn't even a legal person who can vote or pay taxes. Clark is Superman's secret spokesperson in a way, the only right of expression he has. Sort of like being a civil servant and keeping a political blog, I suppose.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 04:29:21 AM »

there's also the matter that as Superman, he can't really espouse partisan causes
Why not?  Especially with Pre-Crisis Superman, the President of the United States (and indeed, of every country) would be whoever Superman might recommend.  "I trust this President to not waste taxpayer dollars creating more missiles that I'll have to throw into the sun sooner or later." 

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 01:38:23 AM »

there's also the matter that as Superman, he can't really espouse partisan causes
Why not?  Especially with Pre-Crisis Superman, the President of the United States (and indeed, of every country) would be whoever Superman might recommend.  "I trust this President to not waste taxpayer dollars creating more missiles that I'll have to throw into the sun sooner or later." 

Well, yeah, but it never works like that in the comics. Superman's probably got some idea that he must not meddle in human history, or that his endorsement would be unfair to the other candidates or something. He's such a wet blanket sometimes.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 02:37:17 AM »

You don't have to go to modern real-world examples to find reporters "making" or participating in the news: most Daily Planet and WGBS employees have taken a hand in tracking down crooks, finding lost treasures, battling supervillains, and generating content by disguising themselves or doing charity work.

As for Clark's political opinions, it would be very interesting to read an ethicist's take on the various hairs he splits on a daily basis juggling to identities.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »

Well, yeah, but it never works like that in the comics. Superman's probably got some idea that he must not meddle in human history, or that his endorsement would be unfair to the other candidates or something. He's such a wet blanket sometimes.
My point is that he can, but he doesn't and won't get political as Superman, even when it's to his detriment (e.g. "President Luthor").  Some of his reasons may not fall into the "wet blanket" category.  He may care about the strength of ideas and ideals over cults of personality.  He may have had a bad experience endorsing the wrong candidate for mayor as Superboy.  He may have inherited a deep-seated disdain for politicians from seeing how they interact with farmers. 

AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 03:50:24 PM »

My point is that he can, but he doesn't and won't get political as Superman, even when it's to his detriment (e.g. "President Luthor").  Some of his reasons may not fall into the "wet blanket" category.  He may care about the strength of ideas and ideals over cults of personality.  He may have had a bad experience endorsing the wrong candidate for mayor as Superboy.  He may have inherited a deep-seated disdain for politicians from seeing how they interact with farmers. 

Or it may also be partially influenced by his father's experience with the obstinate members of the Science Council as well. The portrayal of the council has ranged from stubborn to fascistic (as seen in Action annual 10).

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »

Hey, Mxy and Amazo, you make some pretty good points: Superman might not have much reason to trust politicians (I actually like the current portrayal of Jor-El as a dissident, it's pretty nifty); perhaps his experience with politics has made him a kind of closet anarchist, though he outwardly displays a deep respect for authority.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L