superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clark's journalistic ethics  (Read 11537 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »

Hmm...

Recall a 70's Adventure Comics story where Superboy sees his arm (thanks to a villain) has become intangible, and notes his arm's "got as much weight to it as a politician's promise!"

There's also the final (unfinished) storyline in the 80s Superboy title where Pa Kent runs for Smallville's city council to prevent someone from building a shopping mall in Smallville, which would ruin the various local businesses including the Kent general store; Pa wond up dealing with various shady city council members who had some scheme behind wanting the mall approved for being built...

NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 09:38:55 PM »

The Golden Age Superman was probably the most political version of the character. He distrusted politicians, businessmen, and felt an affinity towards the working class. Given the decade Superman was created in, this isn't surprising.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 12:39:46 AM »

I can't believe that we're using "journalism" and "ethics" in the same sentence without "lack thereof..."  To this I speak of journalism in general.  Onto our hero...

But, there are instances where we see Clark become a hero as a journalist - particularly his Intergang expose-type pieces.  I think more recently, this is being taken into account - and establishing Clark as more a journalist/reporter type than not.

Overall, I don't particularly see the difficulty in Clark's vocation.  If one wants to learn about the "human experience" I suppose being in print media might be as good a field as any.  However, seeing Clark get personally involved in his stories like a bit of a Guardian Angel are always my more favorite stories. 

I would think that Clark would desire to play his role as more a mediocre reporter than anything, but his personal interest in Lois would keep him doing just enough to stay in the game and just pass by to remain on staff.

Yup - the Golden Age Supes was very involved in righting the wrongs wrought on the working class - understandably.  It's always funny to hear Superman referred to as a boy scout.  At his inception, he was just as capable of throwing a crook over the Empire State building playing volley ball with himself as he was just letting them freak cause their knife broke on his skin.

Jor-El the dissident.  That's funny too, - I've always seen him as a dissident.  It'd have to take someone who was definitely bucking the status quo to send one's baby son into outer space.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »

There's also the final (unfinished) storyline in the 80s Superboy title where Pa Kent runs for Smallville's city council to prevent someone from building a shopping mall in Smallville,

I think Alan Moore ripped off this plot in Big Numbers...

It's such a meta idea: the 80s Superboy was all about fighting a rear-guard action against modernism and people who hated the very idea of Superboy.  In a way, fighting shopping malls is like continuing to publish a 50s-style Superboy comic.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L