superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you like to read/don't like in Superman comics?  (Read 25903 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »

I simply can't find a common barometer to measure a Hulk adventure vs. a Krypto adventure.  Neither is scientifically plausible, neither is generally agreed upon as great literature in the subjective world of literary critique.

So the only thing I think that approaches something objective is that both had adventures, and people can appreciate one or the other or both.

I wonder where you are going with childish, though.  I enjoy the Simpsons but detest Family Guy as a collection of unrelated childish gags, but I'm not sure adults or teens would agree with me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:23:25 PM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »

There is no difference, it's just a matter of taste.
HULK SMASH, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR indeed.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 02:57:51 AM »

hmm I liked Krypto.
I didn't think it was stupid at all.

Goofy? sure
stupid?? never

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 03:32:26 AM »

Of course he wasn't. 

Krypto fits fine.

Opinions don't have an effect on what WAS "Superman's World".  What WAS Superman's world was what was written...warts and all, in all eras.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 03:09:05 AM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 11:08:38 PM »

The pendulum has swung back the other way, and we’re now living in the comics age of “everything that Kirby does is great.”

I actually thought we'd been living in that age since the late eighties or so, when The Comics Journal sort of took up Kirby's cause - ironically, about the same time they started knocking on Will Eisner. I'm not a big fan of Kirby's later work either, because let's face it, it was pretty lousy. I do like Kamandi, but I have to admit it's more for its kitsch value than anything else. Anyone who thinks Kirby could do no wrong might benefit from sitting down with the complete 13-issue run of Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 02:50:27 AM »

I really liked the first bunch of Kamandi stories but then it sorta went no where.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 03:42:35 AM »

I never read Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers or Silver Star but I will be getting the trades from Image.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 07:02:08 AM »

I wonder where you are going with childish, though.  I enjoy the Simpsons but detest Family Guy as a collection of unrelated childish gags, but I'm not sure adults or teens would agree with me.

As an adult who used to be a teen, I agree with you completely.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L