superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elliot S! Maggin runs for congress!  (Read 5401 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: July 13, 2007, 05:11:22 AM »

Have a look for yourselves:

http://www.maggin.com/maggin/ca24/manifesto.htm

Here's what I think is interesting: Maggin is actually USING his reputation as a person that set the "values and fantasies of untold kids" through comics. He's wrapping himself up in the fact he's a writer and a visionary, and his motto is pretty much "Truth Justice and the American Way."

Quote from: Elliot S! Maggin
Those of us who have worked in the fantasy and speculative fields tend, maybe for our own protection, to draw a very sure line between fantasy and reality. We don't often think of ourselves as a community, as a group who have certain beliefs in common, but we do. We all believe in imagination. We all value intellectual curiosity. In a time when the absence of such virtues has propelled us to disaster upon disaster, it is up to us to bring the American character back to America.

And

Quote from: Elliot S! Maggin
I've always said -- I've always told all of us, every chance I got -- that the best way to get any ball rolling in America is through word-of-mouth among the biggest flapping mouths you can find, and that the place to find them is among pop culture fans. We were the people, after all, who first believed that a man could fly and that with great power comes great responsibility.

All politics aside, I think this is fascinating stuff just from a postmodernist point of view, especially in America where politics is all about woofing and posturing in cowboy boots, and where the Terminator can become Governator because voters remember him from the movies as a big strong man that can decisively solve our problems.

OF COURSE comic book writers would run for Congress! In fact, I feel like kicking myself for not predicting it.

When politics is so enmeshed with Hollywood fantasy and unreality, it makes sense that a visionary and a creator of unreality are the same person.

You know the funny part? If I lived in California, I'd probably vote for him. Why not? Elliot S! Maggin wrote "Who Took the Super out of Superman" and a JLA/JSA Team-Up. What the hell have YOU ever done for me, Rep. Elton Gallegly?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:54:55 AM »

Hey, I'd certainly vote for him, because if nothing else, his briefly-described package seems quite sensible, and there's also a slightly better chance of Miracle Monday becoming an official holiday. I hope he gets to keep the exclamation mark if he is elected.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:47:23 AM »

Hasn't he run before?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »

Yeah, in New Hampshire, according to his announcement. This would have been back in 1983, if I have his birth year right.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 01:25:59 AM »

If I lived in California, I'm sure I'd vote for Mr. Maggin (for his platform, vs. just for writing cool old comics :-) ).

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 04:39:10 AM »

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?city=Van+Nuys&st=CA&last=MAGGIN&first=elliot

http://collections.politicallibrary.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Buttons_Jewelry&CISOPTR=132&REC=20
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »

what happened to his long hair!!?!??!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 04:12:25 AM »

what happened to the 1970s!!?!??!
Fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: