superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AdamWest/BurtWard Lost footage  (Read 9176 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: July 13, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »

Evidently a noirish non-camp screen test with shadows and a pre-New Look Batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVoxnlfxHw&NR=1

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:17:02 PM »

This footage has been making the rounds the last few years.   There's also versions of the same scenes with alternate actors (Lyle Waggoner as Batman and I forget who was Robin).  There are some very clean, good-looking versions on the recent "Holy Batmania" DVD.

I'm not so sure they were going for "noirish" and "non-camp" here.  The dialog is still campy depending on how you read the lines (and many of them ended up in the pilot episode, "Hey Diddle Riddle" exactly as they're heard here).  What makes it "noirish", I guess, is how dark everything is, but I don't see that so much as a matter of establishing mood as it is a reflection of where they were in terms of development and budget when this thing was shot.  The "Batcave" is heavily shadowed not, I think , to make it "creepy" but rather to hide just how small the set is (especially compared to the huge version we'd get in the final product).  Basically they just rolled in a bunch of computers from the Lost in Space set and probabaly used a "cave" left over from same.

I do dig the pre-"New Look" chest insignia, though.  But I'm not so sure about the cowl.  Fun to see how it goes on, however, and you'll note that in the actual series we never got this kind of shot of Bruce and Dick in the cave sans masks.

Cool stuff.  You can find the alternate screen tests and lots of other goodies over at Scott Sebring's "Batfriend" site: www.batfriend.com

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »

Kind of a mixed bag for me.  Even in this test, West and Ward have voices that tend to take things over the top. I loved the Riddler's riddles, seems even in this test that the answers are pretty arcane though.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:19:47 PM »

The dialog and riddles are pretty much verbatim from the story "The Remarkable Ruse of the Riddler".

It's all in the line delivery.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »

Its been awhile since I've seen the episodes.  I'm assuming Bruce's line about his dead father was never used. Still, the readings of the lines are still very dramatic and tending to camp, despite the look of the sets.

I kind of like the looser fitting costume.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »

Bruce's line was a bit different in "Hey Diddle Riddle."  We first meet him at the manor, chairing some citizen's committee or other devoted to the eradication of crime in Gotham.  He says a line that begins, "Perhaps if my own parent's hadn't been killed by dastardly criminals..."  and I forget how it ended.

Anyway, it's the closest to an "origin" the Adam West Batman gets and the only reference to Bruce's parents in any context (aside from a moment in a Penguin episode when Bruce pulls out an umbrella that "belonged to my father").  This episode is also the only one to feature an on-screen death, when Molly (Jill St John) falls into the Batcave's atomic reactor ("What a way to go-go!").

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »

It's funny how everything seems a lot more serious.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 03:38:19 AM »

In that last scene, Batman in his cowl with the lopsided ears looks almost identical to the Batman from those old movie serials.

Great stuff!  I hope this and other similar material makes it to the series DVD set when it finally comes out.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L