superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page 9 original artwork being auctioned  (Read 13316 times)
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« on: July 16, 2007, 01:43:25 AM »

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere (or if this is the wrong place), but did anyone see that Heritage is selling page 9 from the K-Metal story?  Looks like its up to $1600 right now.
http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=825&Lot_No=41125

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:56:43 PM by Great Rao » Logged

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:25:54 AM »

Rao just informed me of your post.  Thanks for this.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:28:03 AM »

It is interesting to use the zoom features and see the original pencil lines.  The inking on the S shield is very vague in some panels.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:49:31 AM »

It is interesting to use the zoom features and see the original pencil lines.  The inking on the S shield is very vague in some panels.

(I'm sure Rao is going to move this to the K-Metal thread)

Yup - the biggest detraction for me of the time period is that ever changing "S".  On the project we established the non-serifed "S" early on - and kept it.  The 5 sided chevron was already established by our project, and it just seemed like a small leap to make the "S" non-serifed - then into the checked serif as the chronicles progress, too the basic pattern of the squared serifed "S" that pretty much stayed the same since.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:25:22 AM »

If you zoom into the lower left hand panel (wrench to the head), even the five sided shield is nebulous there...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:37:23 AM »

If you zoom into the lower left hand panel (wrench to the head), even the five sided shield is nebulous there...

I think the shield was intended to be police-badge shaped instead of 5-sided.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:51 AM »

In the early stories, the badge is clearly a sort of crest - it's not even clear that it's got an "S" on it.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:23:47 AM »

I wonder if some people still think that this story is a fake?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L