superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luma Lynai and the sun of Staryl  (Read 7147 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« on: July 19, 2007, 05:02:46 AM »

There was recently a revision to Supermanica that corrected the color of the sun around the planet Staryl from orange to blue.  Its been years since I had the original comic but my understanding is that the original comic stated the sun was orange and that a re-printing stated it was blue (to avoid questions of Superman's powers).

Does anyone remember how it was originally told?
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »

I still haven't even read it (lo after all these years) despite a super-tantalizing cover!  The sun is orange on the cover.

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=16956&zoom=4
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 02:00:22 PM by Klar Ken T5477 » Logged
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:42:41 PM »

The cover makes it even more confusing.  I have a hunch that a reprint may have said blue and the cover wasn't used...

But I'm not sure.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 08:19:05 PM »

Or recolored.

Don't the Bizarros lose their powers under a blue sun or am I dreaming?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:16:29 PM »

That may have had something to do with it. The internet is about split on the color, and I haven't found a source for the original story.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:44:27 PM »

Don't the Bizarros lose their powers under a blue sun or am I dreaming?

No, Bizarro Kryptonite is blue - isn't it? According to the Maggin novel, Superman has reduced powers under a blue sun, but they're still pretty impressive, since he squeezes a lump of coal to form diamonds; I sort of assume that's canonical.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:58:23 AM »

The story is reprinted in Superman in the Sixties, but it is quite confusing. The sun appears in three panels on page 11, and it is colored orange each time. But in panel 1, Superman thinks, "The second planet revolving around that blue sun is . . . Staryl!" Yet in panel 5, Superman says, "You're a Superwoman due to the solar rays of your orange sun!"
Huh?

Now I have some tangential questions:

(1) Did Luma ever re-appear (I mean for real, not a flashback/cameo/impersonator)?
(2) Does the "S" on Luma's costume stand for Superwoman? Both Superman and Supergirl referred to her as "a Superwoman" in her debut story, but did she call herself that? Or is it just a Starylian symbol that resembles an "S"?

And a tangential observation:
I just noticed that Superman in the Sixties has the picture of Superman catching Luma (page 11 panel 4 of her debut story) reprinted on the title page, but Luma's costume is colored to look like Kara's. Quite strange looking, though, since Luma has gloves and shorts (rather than Kara's skirt) and of course, her "S" symbol is in a circle rather than a pentagon.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:35:42 AM »

All these things are truly ODD...

I wonder if there IS an answer.  I'm fairly certain that Luma's S stands for "super" as she was the super woman of Staryl, and no, she never appeared again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L