superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would the Silver Age Superman be careful of his space-routes?  (Read 16089 times)
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »

I believe in one of the stories where Superman races Flash, that Superman had to be careful with his route?

Jimmy
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »

if you're traveling at light speed wouldnt all light shift into the red spectrum??? so  no matter what sun he is going by in space it would turn red??? (or maybe I have no clue what I am talking about. I am not a scientist!!! leave me alone!!!!!)

the thing I liked about post crisis was that Supes would still retain his super powers even away from a yellow sun though he would eventually lose them. (like he was a solar battery)
I liked it because now supes could travel through space without droping dead if he accidently flys past a red sun.
but then post-crisis superman stop traveling the universe, so it ended up not making a difference.
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »

>if you're traveling at light speed wouldnt all light shift into the red spectrum??? so  no >matter what sun he is going by in space it would turn red??? (or maybe I have no clue
Good point. In fact, if you are approaching a light source then it is blue-shifted, but when receding from one it becomes red-shifted.

I fiorget if it has been discussed, but has it been mentioned whether Superman becomes more Super on a planet with, say, a blue sun?

carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 12:33:14 AM »

well in the last issue of Action supes is said to gain new powers under a blue sun.

I guess he would become more powerful under a white or blue sun. but what about a purple?? or checkered.

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 04:06:19 AM »

well in the last issue of Action supes is said to gain new powers under a blue sun.

I guess he would become more powerful under a white or blue sun. but what about a purple?? or checkered.
In one of the Superman-Flash races, there was an orange sun (where I think he grew weaker) and a sun that alternated between yellow and red for some reason, designed to mess with Superman. 

In the first Maggin novel, a blue sun reduced his powers. 
JRJ123
Superman's Pal

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 12:20:46 AM »

If Superman was flying faster than the speed of light, would his momentum from travelling that fast not carry him clear of the influence of the red sun's rays? Or would the physics of travelling in space mean that he would not have momentum?

I have something to announce... I'm fat. There, I said it, now it's nobody's fault...Meg.
Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 04:12:55 AM »

JRJ123 asked: If Superman was flying faster than the speed of light, would his momentum from traveling that fast not carry him clear of the influence of the red sun's rays? Or would the physics of traveling in space mean that he would not have momentum?

According to Newton’s 1st law of motion: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. Or to state it differently an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside source.

So basically if Superman is traveling at any speed in space without a force of gravity from some planet, star, moon, or other object to slow him down he will continue at that speed regardless of his personal power level and would eventually move beyond the effects of the red sun, he might be dead without his powers by the time that happens but he would continue to move.

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
JRJ123
Superman's Pal

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 12:04:02 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up, and let's hope that never happens!

I have something to announce... I'm fat. There, I said it, now it's nobody's fault...Meg.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L