superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What silver age collections would you recommend?  (Read 7131 times)
jzcrayz
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: July 26, 2007, 11:13:11 PM »

Hey i'm new to this board.  From what i've read i've pretty much gathered that the majority of you are silver age superman fans.  Most of the superman comics i've read (and unfortunately liked) have been from the modern and golden ages.  I want to know what all the hype is about silver age superman comics.  The only silver age collections i've seen are showcase presents and I'm not to keen on getting something black and white.  Does anyone have any recommendations?
OKITOMAGIC
Superman Fan

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »

First I  would say go for the showcase issues, because of the price about 16.99 and you get over 500 pages
I agree with the black and white, but for the page count, hey it's a lot more to get the issues
If you wish books in color , try Batman, Superman in the 50's , 60's, etc
For my reading enjoyment, I would get the showcase items to see the art and stories
I like the Batman, Superman ,Justice League , Legion etc
For other books , that are in color ( and a bit more money ) the Archive editions
I just got the golden age of dr fate , just to read the storys ,since I like magic
I wish that DC would issues the digtal comics that Marvel has put out , maybe DC can put out Golden Age Batman,Superman that Silver Age
And also read the comics on line this site
Pick you're favorite comic that you like now, and just follow the evolution of that comic
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 02:00:51 AM »

The silver age collections I would recommend would be Superman in the Sixties and Superman in the Seventies. Both will run you about $20.00. Other then the Showcase volumes, I don't know if there are a whole lot out there that aren't well into the $50.00 range like the Legion of Superheroes Archives.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 02:53:49 AM »

I'd recommend getting a few "reading copies" (Good to Very Good) of the various 80-Page Giants which are reasonably priced on eBay as shown here:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=80+page+giant&category0=
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 03:15:45 AM »

80 Page Giants are always a good idea, today or in the 1960s...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 03:21:42 AM »

80 page Giants or simple Annuals before they were called 80 Page Giants are always a good bet especially in far from mint condition.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:47:18 AM »

I recommend:

Superman in the 50īs 60īs and 70īs

Superman: THe Greatest Stories Ever Told

Superman: Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?

The Superman Story (Martin Pasko)

Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 12:07:13 PM »

By Silver Age, do you mean the actual Silver Age Superman comics of the late 1950's to late 1960's? Or just pre-crisis Superman comics?

The the actual Silver age, I would strongly suggest the great Showcase Superman volumes, they are your best bang for your buck and pure silver age.

For color, Superman in the 60's. Skip the text, since it was written when DC still hated anything classic it's amazing that they even released this during this era.

There are two different Silver Superman Archives and a neat Silver Age Supergirl archive too. These cost the most.

The cheapest way to read silver age Superman comics is to start here at this very website!

1st read this to understand what is what: http://superman.nu/a/comics.php

then read the comics: http://superman.nu/a/tales.php

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L