superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:13:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What silver age collections would you recommend?  (Read 6966 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »

If you're really looking for a "sampler" to give you a feel for what SA Superman was all about, definitely go for the "Superman in the Sixties" collection.  It's as close to perfect as it gets, for my money.  There's Jerry Seigel's masterpiece "Superman's Return to Krypton," Edmond Hamilton's epic "Last Days of Superman," the truly moving Superboy story "The Impossible Mission," the historically important (if not that thrilling) "Superman's Mission for President Kennedy," the amazing "Showdown Between Luthor and Superman", plus goofy Bizarro tales, Jimmy Olsen as Turtle Boy, scheming Lois Lane, cute-as-a-button Supergirl and the last days of Ma and Pa Kent.  The art alone makes it a must-have: Wayne Boring, Kurt Schaffenberger, Neal Adams and the unbeatable combo of Curt Swan and George Klein.

If you read this book and don't find anything to like, then Silver Age Superman is not for you.  But if you do like it, you can always move on to the Showcases.  Or if you really hate black and white that much, the "Superman: Man of Tomorrow" Archives.

This looks like a job for...
jzcrayz
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 01:39:25 AM »

Thank you all very much for your recommendations.  I'll look into them all.  I was looking for the actual silver age comics.  I think I might start with superman in the 60s to get the feel of it and then check out the rest.
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 05:28:07 AM »

I definitely recommend The Great Darkness Saga from Legion of Super-Heroes and Who Took the Super Out of Superman.

Who goes there?!
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 06:13:25 AM »

I would recommend earlier comics than either of those, both are very "Bronze Age" in tone (and Age)...that is if you are really trying to see if you like the Silver Age. Both are pretty good though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 02:45:24 PM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 02:23:50 AM »

I want to know what all the hype is about silver age superman comics.  The only silver age collections i've seen are showcase presents and I'm not to keen on getting something black and white.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

If you don't mind reading comics online, these are some good Silver Age stories:

http://superman.nu/tales/1960s.php
http://superman.nu/tales/1960s-2.php
http://superman.nu/tales/1960s-3.php
http://superman.nu/tales/1960s-4.php

I don't think any collection does the Age justice.  It was really one sweeping epic that took ten years to tell.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L