superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cook off the Spirit...  (Read 5321 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« on: July 27, 2007, 07:10:21 AM »

...after issue 12 and he had a few things to say about the direct market.

Story
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »

Well, that didn't last long. To be honest, I'm not too bothered, because I didn't think this latest Spirit title amounted to much, presumably because of the editorial constraints Cooke mentions. I think he'll be better off with his own projects. I wish DC would try what the Spirit title a few years back did: have different writers and artists for each title.

Nice to see Cooke being so dismissive of Miller's Spirit film!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »

Oh well, 12 issues is longer than I expected him to make it.

I wouldn't even start buying a new series these days if I didn't think it'd end in a year's time.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:11:33 PM »

Thats another $3 that stays in my pocket.

DC was the only to make DC's Spirit fly and Frank Miller can go #%$@ himself with his ultra-violence and gore.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:44:20 PM »

To be honest I really do not see the point of The Spirit without Will Eisner. That's like someone taking over Peanuts after Schulz's death. It just didn't seem right. 

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:37:19 AM »

I agree.  The issues looked pretty and the creative team certainly has a great adventure comics pedigree, but I never made the leap to buying this series.  It's funny: in some ways, DC must see the Spirit as this high class, boutique version of the adventure comics they've done for years.  A sort of parallel earth superhero comic where the editor was also the creator and regular cartoonist for decades, meaning that it had to be better than or on par with the best from DC.  Now DC "has" the Spirit and it's not setting the world on fire, only selling as much as a mid-level, non-event series.  And the movie won't exactly make anyone want to buy an Archives Edition.

My favourite post-Eisner story was by Moore and Daniel Torres.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 02:15:45 AM »

Even tho Eisner was always credited a lot of latter day stories were scripted and laid out by Jules Feiffer and other artists like Lou Fine drew the Sundays.   
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:08:08 AM »

It's funny: in some ways, DC must see the Spirit as this high class, boutique version of the adventure comics they've done for years.

That's a very accurate description, actually. You always feel you should be bringing it home in a stiff paper bag with string handles and "Comique" written on the side. This is somewhat heightened by Darwyn Cooke's elegant, often New Yorker cartoon-like style. But by and large, the series just never quite made it. I'm sure this isn't anything to do with Cooke's abilities: he's one of my favourite cartoonists around right now.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L