superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aliens vs People  (Read 9400 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« on: July 27, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »

One thing that DrJohnnyDiablo seems to be doing is correcting the categories "People" and "Aliens" so that one being can't be both.

That seems reasonable, does everyone agree?
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:09:36 PM »

That's a little xenomorphic don't you think?

Especially since most aliens in the chronicles are people including all Kryptonians.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:27:37 PM »

Grin

I can never decide who looks weird enough not to be a "person"...this way, all people from Earth are in one category, those from other planets in another.

And if its not standardized - he'll move through every single entry and re-classify it again.
DrJohnnyDiablo
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 09:49:36 AM »

"And if its not standardized - he'll move through every single entry and re-classify it again."

Hmm. Getting a little snippy aren't we? Considering how little activity we sometimes see at Supermanica I like to do these marathon sessions once in a while. And encyclopedias should be standardized shouldn't they?

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, for a time I thought all humanoid aliens should be counted as people but it is less confusing to have "people" be synonymous with "human beings from the planet Earth", IMHO.

--DrJohnnyDiablo

"New master didn't realize it am crime against Bizarro code to make anything perfect on Bizarro World! He is in trouble if his robots change shape of this planet into globe!"-Bizarro-Krypto(March, 1962)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »

I would agree, people = humans.

aliens = non-humans from somewhere other than Earth.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 02:41:47 PM »

Getting a little snippy aren't we? Considering how little activity we sometimes see at Supermanica I like to do these marathon sessions once in a while. And encyclopedias should be standardized shouldn't they?

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, for a time I thought all humanoid aliens should be counted as people but it is less confusing to have "people" be synonymous with "human beings from the planet Earth", IMHO.

--DrJohnnyDiablo

I'm all for correcting typos, grammar, citations that might be wrong, re-writing entries that are in the past tense, etc. I think those changes are great.

When the marathon sessions include moving scores of entries to new categories, changing dashes to em-dashes, hyperlinking every reference to the "Man of Steel", changing every reference to first appearance from "first appears in Detective Comics" to "first appearance: Detective Comics" (both are acceptable and occur within the same scholarly works) - then they are unnecessary. I like titles inside the entries but usually only add them when I am editing an exisiting entry to add a new story, so that all can find the entry on the "Recent Changes" page. Often times, when tens and tens of entries are changed in minutia in one marathon session, its impossible to even find any new entries on the "Recent Changes" section.

So, since I don't intend to be snippy but rather am usually direct, I feel that new entries about the world of Superman are more important than constantly re-arranging the existing entries.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 03:38:30 PM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »

I think that in this matter, as in all matters, the goal should be to accurately reflect the chronicles.  So if someone is referred to as a "person" in the chronicles, then we should categorize them as a "person."  If the chronicles refer to them as an "alien," then we should do likewise.

If the chronicles refer to someone as both a person and elsewhere an alien, then I believe it is the role of Supermanica to respect that.  Just as we have included other contradictory aspects of the chronicles.

I can't say for certain, but I suspect that Superman has been described as both a person and as an alien.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »

It just gets to be ambiguous, if Superman is a person, its possible to assume all Kryptonians are, and then all the human-looking aliens.

Actually, either or both are fine with me. I sort of dislike changing the categories a lot, because its very difficult to make the call. All definitions are ambiguous to some extent, for example, many villains will hide from Superman and thus meet the definition of criminal. Like Mr. Xavier, who skulks for 30 years and never really directly confronts the Man of Steel.

I do agree with DrJohnnyDiablo that there can be real slow times on Supermanica, there are not a lot of people adding new things. I guess I just disagree with a lot fiddling with things like categories on already existing entries - except of course for grammar, spelling, and citation accuracy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L