superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Man Who Destroyed Krypton!"  (Read 15739 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »

It's predictably awful, but it has some pretty good artwork to make up for it: try finding linework that good in a contemporary comic. In any case, the story has definite turkey value, let's call it a period piece.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:42:30 PM »

It's beginning to look more and more to me that any Superman or Superboy story published after 1967 (which I now consider to be the end of the Silver Age) but before 1970 (the launch of the Bronze Age) takes place in a separate Mad-like continuity.  The other tale here at Superman Thru the Ages! that falls in the same category is "The Strange Death of Superboy!"

Superboy was actually experimenting with some darker stories at that time (or at least 3 or 4 of the total of 5 Superboys I bought between 1967-70), issues where Superboy or Clark needed to leave Smallville because of a threat of some type and initially setting up an expectation where there's abandonment.

The second Virus-X storyline was published in 1968 and thus also falls in this window.  More evidence for my argument.

I did laugh at the plastic covering on his brain too...

As if there's any reason that should somehow block someone from being hypnotizable.  Huh?

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:45:07 PM »

Lots of stuff with Black Zero were plastic... he could summon plastic force fields, too....

I DID like the Jax-Ur ally bit...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »

The second Virus-X storyline was published in 1968 and thus also falls in this window.  More evidence for my argument.
Not a great one, the idea that when the Bizarros tossed White Kryptonite at his passing coffin it gradually destroyed the virus was pretty bad.

I had a number of good stories I liked from 1966...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 12:14:37 AM »

Are Black Zero's psycho-molecules responsible for the Fortress Of Wood?  Only the Jerk Of Steel knows for sure.  Sheesh...  it's a worthwhile read for those who like cracky in the highest.

When I first saw the title, before I noticed the link had Black Zero in it, I had thought that it was the story of the scientist on Earth who thought he had destroyed Krypton.  Anyone else remember that one?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:16:40 AM by Uncle Mxy » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L