superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supes vs T. Tuxedo  (Read 16042 times)
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 03:47:41 AM »

At least for the Tomato, the Warhol had all caps for TOMATO while the current has Tomato

Slight difference in the gold medal I think too

but yes, basically the same
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 12:42:13 AM »

Hmm...guess I'm less picky on older cartoons than the others on here!

I grew up in the 80's, but have always enjoyed the Warner Bros. animated fare---Looney Tunes always made me laugh, as does their latter-day TV counterparts (Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, etc.).

I watched Tom and Jerry as a kid, but they always kind of got on my nerves a bit (least for the Spike-beating-up-Tom-for-just-doing-his-job stuff ;-) ).

I liked the Jay Ward cannon as well, as well as Hanna-Barbera's 50s/60s output (I still find the FLintstones funny) ...

Agree that too many modern cartoons seem pretty limited in what they depict compared to the old stuff---seems like it's mostly either shows about human kids going to a school, bathroom gags, superheroes, or some weird anime thing. Imagine one reason for SpongeBob SquarePants' success is that it's a throwback to the days of Bugs, Yogi, etc.----a funny-animal character (a rarity with most cartoons seeming to be humans or humanoids nowadays) who's an adult engaging in wacky-toned humor (and isn't on a quest for some artifact/engaged in some melodramatic storyline/drawn anime-style/etc.). ;-)

Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 03:28:57 AM »

I'm also a child of the eighties so most of the cartoons I grew up with were basically 22 minute toy commercials (with real toy commercials in between). I just want to say, I don't think they would be able to get away with a naked kid in a bathtub today, no matter how cartoony it was, unless it was Simpsons or Family Guy or one of the "adult" cartoons. As for Tom and Jerry, I think the "mammy" character would be enough to keep them out of reruns today.

Anywho, as a result of my upbrining I'm more interested in action cartoons with engaging plots then funny cartoons. I recently got a copy of those Fliescher Superman cartoons for like a buck at the dollar store and practically drooled the entire time I was watching. I had only seen one or two growing up and now I feel like we have truly stepped backward as far as animation goes. It just seems like studios stopped trying. Even the Batman cartoon from the early nineties pales in comparison, which everybody has been trying to make cheap knock offs for 15 years now...including WB! No wonder anime is so popular, at least it looks like they try.   
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 04:56:08 AM »

I'm also a child of the eighties so most of the cartoons I grew up with were basically 22 minute toy commercials (with real toy commercials in between). I just want to say, I don't think they would be able to get away with a naked kid in a bathtub today, no matter how cartoony it was, unless it was Simpsons or Family Guy or one of the "adult" cartoons. As for Tom and Jerry, I think the "mammy" character would be enough to keep them out of reruns today.

Anywho, as a result of my upbrining I'm more interested in action cartoons with engaging plots then funny cartoons. I recently got a copy of those Fliescher Superman cartoons for like a buck at the dollar store and practically drooled the entire time I was watching. I had only seen one or two growing up and now I feel like we have truly stepped backward as far as animation goes. It just seems like studios stopped trying. Even the Batman cartoon from the early nineties pales in comparison, which everybody has been trying to make cheap knock offs for 15 years now...including WB! No wonder anime is so popular, at least it looks like they try.   

They still rerun Tom and Jerry on Cartoon Network (and sometimes Boomerang)...

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L