superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Comic Books Make us Smarter?  (Read 11185 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 01:59:04 PM »

Jeopardy is a fraud in some ways, the reason is because whenever they have a topic that I am familar with, the answers (questions) are actually very easy. So it is not really as hard as it appears.

True but what about the subjects/topics you're not familiar with - say Tree Sloths of South America?  Or Indigenous Rocks? Or  'Metamorpho' rocks?

Well, we all know Metamorpho rocks!  Wink
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 04:53:30 AM »

the shows that really built intelligence in viewers were the old anthology shows like Twilight Zone, Climax or Playhouse 90.  There was some great writing on those shows, and without the "crutch" of continuing characters and ongoing subplots.

I'm glad you put quotes around crutch --I'd think that writing intelligent stories with continuing characters is much harder than doing it only once. 

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 05:00:46 AM »

Getting a coherent and yet memorable story into an hour (with commercials) is a difficult proposition, just like an 8 page comic story.

I have huge admiration for the writers of one hour TV dramas, more than the meanderings of the never-ending serial...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L