superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite screen Batman?  (Read 28811 times)
OKITOMAGIC
Superman Fan

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

I agree  with several people on the best Batman -
Adam West , Chris Bale , and the Timm Cartoons
Who is the best Bruce Wayne
West, Bale , and Kilmer , although I like Bob Kane's idea of Robert Wagner (in the auto)
The best Robin/Dick Grayson -Burt Ward
Composite Superman
Supermen of America

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »

Best movie Batman: Christian Bale
Most fun Batman: Adam West
Best Bat-Voice: Kevin Conroy
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »

No one for Lewis Wilson or Robert Lowery?!?

My favorite Batman is Christian Bale.

I quite like Adam West, even though he doesn't particularly strike me as being very convincing as the athletic, very fit type (a little paunchy rather than muscular in my opinion), but the TV show was a bit too campy for my liking.

I never really cared for Michael Keaton in the role - I thought he was totally unsuitable for the part of Batman.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 01:58:35 PM »

I quite like Adam West, even though he doesn't particularly strike me as being very convincing as the athletic, very fit type (a little paunchy rather than muscular in my opinion), but the TV show was a bit too campy for my liking.

Adam looked better in shirtless, pool-side photos of the time than he did in the outfit.  I think there was something about that utility belt that made him look fat.

As for the camp element, I think they nailed it in the first season with episodes that worked on two levels; straight adventure for kids and snickering parody for their parents.  A lot of those episodes were lifted directly from the comics, and dialog and situations that seemed perfectly acceptable on the four-color page came off as insane when acted out by real human beings.  The big appeal of the show for me -- then and now -- was that it was the most faithful adaptation of comic to screen EVER.  Everything since has hedged its bets (hence the "armor" for Bale's Batman, biker outfits for the X-Men, etc)

Unfortunately as time wore on the comedy got broader, the budget got smaller and the whole thing became an endless parade of has-been movie stars as "villain of the week" (Rudy Vallee?  Liberace?!?!?!)  When we saw Batman singing "Buttercup" even the youngest among us knew the shark had been jumped.

If there's any real problem with the "camp" approach it's that it succeeded too well, and so became the only approach Hollywood would take to superheroes for years and years (even seeping into Donner's "Superman" via Hackman's campy Luthor).  If "Batman" had been quickly followed by an equally successful but more serious superhero adaptation ("Green Hornet" tried, but failed), then I think we'd have been okay.  But people became convinced that campy was the only way to do superheroes...that in fact, comics themselves were camp...and that's where we ran into trouble.  Kind of like how after "Star Wars", every SF film had to have "blaster" pistols and comic relief robots.  Don't blame "Star Wars" (or "Batman") for succeeding...blame everyone else for having no imagination.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 02:51:55 PM »

I like the 2nd Batman serial a lot - best music, Commissioner Gordon AND the bat signal, a decent masked villain and a lot of fun although Robin seems more like a young tough.

Charm include the villain having a better mansion than Bruce Wayne.  Robert Lowery's bored Bruce is nicely done.  The action is brisk  and is a lot of fun despite the limitations of being a Sam Katzman Columbia cheapie.  If only Republic had done the Batman serials although Spy Smasher is their best serial.  They also were negotiating  the rights to Superman at one time but were ultimately too expensive opting for Fawcett (Capt. Marvel, Spy Smasher) and Marvel characters (Capt. America) instead.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:14:32 PM by Klar Ken T5477 » Logged
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 05:40:29 PM »

Yeah, Lyle Talbot was a good Gordon.  And it was neat to see the Bat-signal, even if it was about the size of an overhead projector, and he rolled it over to the window to activate it.  Cheesy

Lowery was pretty good as Bruce Wayne but it's a shame the costume was so poorly done.  Also, anyone who complains about Adam West's girth should be forced to watch chubby old Lowery lumbering around with his "man-boobs." He looks like a poor man's Victor Mature. (There's an old rumor that he had an oxygen tank on hand for all his running scenes). Great voice, though, and certainly less annoying than Lewis Wilson with his New England, "Thurston Howell III" accent (which he makes no effort to disguise as Batman!).

For those of you who have Seasons 3 and 4 of the Adventures of Superman on DVD, you can see Robert Lowery as Clark Kent's globe-trotting adventurer buddy in "The Deadly Rock."  Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent, together again. Smiley

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:13:11 PM »

Nightwing,
I think both Lowery and Duncan were doubled extensively in their 'action' scenes.

As for the best Batman over all -- winner and still Bat-champion Adam "1966" West!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 04:42:35 AM »

I think Wonder Woman mostly escaped camp but at the expense of intelligence.  Of course, the obvious charms of Lynda carter partly mitigated that.

The closest to Batman would be Spidey and Blue Beetle on the Electronic Company, in terms of superhero camp.  Can't think of any others right now.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L