superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Club of Heroes Returns!!!!  (Read 14983 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »

Really cool...

BUT it looks like all this mixing of continuities (like the '70's LOSH and Superman) is leading up to a countdown of some sort (heh)... the multiverse isn't stable yet and I think DC is toying with us!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:32:08 AM »

Is there a single totally terrible idea introduced between 1956-1966 that Grant Morrison hasn't immediately dry-humped the leg of?

This, plus his love of Bat-Mite. I am convinced that Grant Morrison is really the human form of Loki, the Norse God of Evil. Or perhaps the Finnish Hiisi.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible to do a good story with these characters. At least when Geoff Johns brought the goofy Ma Hunkel back (a character the sensible and sane Roy Thomas refused to touch with a ten-foot pole), he did it with dignity and made her a motherly matriarch figure.

But that's not what Grant's doing. He's having them pop up...without explanation for what they've been doing and why they haven't been seen for decades. Seriously. The Wasp's antennae were used more recently than the League of Heroes.

If he does that, if he accounts for why the Knight didn't so much as cameo when the Birds of Prey went to London a year ago, for example...I'll clam up. But Morrison won't, because he doesn't have a professional bone in his body.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:42:59 AM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 07:47:03 AM »

I am convinced that Grant Morrison is really the human form of Loki, the Norse God of Evil. Or perhaps the Finnish Hiisi.

Definitely the latter --when an editor won't let a certain Silver Age concept be used, Morrison can always resort to a Hiisi fit.

(I thank you.)

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »

I tend not to think "decades" in comics' time even on those days when I care about slavish continuity.

To me, the Club of Heroes is a group of normal men who want to help their countries as heroes similar to Batman in a distant "simpler" time...i.e. in some mystic time before Kennedy was President (but oddly AFTER Kennedy met Superboy) and before the last few decades of universe/reality shattering events.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 08:14:41 AM »

And certainly there are people like them today --especially in Mexico-- who do not get the headlines like someone like Batman or Superman might.  And why does someone (especially a very minor, "foreign" character) have to be continuously in print for them to be accepted as canon by the continuity hounds?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 04:25:29 PM »

I'm with you Telle... I like the idea of other countries (in the DCU) adopting variations of Batman... crime doesn't exist just in the USA, so superheroes SHOULD exist in those other areas and if some of those men and women want to model themselves after Batman, that's an excellent idea.

Some of those folks, like the Knight and the Squire, are similar, but use their own MO.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 04:46:21 PM »

Or their own Superman for that matter, I say why not!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »

I've been tempted to pick up the individual issues of the Morrison arc, but since I know it will all be collected in a TPB, I'm trying to hold onto my money.

Since Bat-Hombre pre-dates all the others, I don't see why he should be ruled out. Of course, there never was an actual Bat-Hombre at story's end, but that hasn't stopped me over the years from considering how it might have turned out.

In present DC continuity, the name Bat-Hombre would be unlikely, so I've re-imagined him as a cat-like hero (but still designed as Dick Sprang drew him). The Jaguar is taken, but maybe The Jaguarundi (an entirely different animal, but also native to Mexico, C. America, and S. America).

"Ride, Jaguarundi, ride!"

India Ink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L