superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the iron age got right  (Read 8533 times)
RonFez.net
Superman's Pal

« on: August 05, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »

Out of all the changes in superman comics in the iron age, I must say that the best innovation was the relationship between Batman and Superman.  Some of you may disagree but before byrne implemented the elements from DKR the relationship between the two was 2-dimensional at best.  That change allowed both of them to be at odds with each other but remain close.  And allowed for interesting stories showing both their viewpoints on specific subjects.  But this still could not have happened if batman had not become the dark moody character in the dark knight returns and batman year one.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 05:01:08 AM »

I always liked the post-crisis Luthor. A corrupt billioniar always made more sense to me then a mad scientist. I understand what you say about Batman, and Frank Millar tried to explain that these two would have vastly different worldviews given what shaped who they are. I guess that's hard to argue with regardless of whether or not you like it. Another thing I liked is the fact that they got rid of the different varieties of kryptonite. One that can kill him is enough. 
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »

Aww c'mon... 
What's wrong with pre-Crisis Superman and Batman's relationship?

http://the-isb.blogspot.com/2005/11/where-they-went-wrong-superman-and.html

The real problem was World's Finest.  It's hard to have them constantly at odds with each other when they're in the same book for 30+ years.  I bet the tolerance for introspection and crippling needless self-doubt was a bit lower in WF's heydey.  I like the Superman-Batman gimmick of multi-colored virtual thought bubbles, but that by itself would get old pretty fast.

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »

And thanks to Mxy, I have yet another site to bookmark...

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »

I gotta find that issue! Cheesy
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:20:29 AM »

I hate the way they changed Supes and Bats' relationship post-Crisis (though guessing things have evened out a bit recently)... I don't have everything in common with *my* friends, but that doesn't mean we're at each other's throats. ;-)

SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 03:54:58 AM »

I always liked the post-crisis Luthor. A corrupt billioniar always made more sense to me then a mad scientist. I understand what you say about Batman, and Frank Millar tried to explain that these two would have vastly different worldviews given what shaped who they are. I guess that's hard to argue with regardless of whether or not you like it. Another thing I liked is the fact that they got rid of the different varieties of kryptonite. One that can kill him is enough. 

I agree about luthor His motivations just seemed better to me. Less kryptonite is better too. I think post crisis went a little to far with Batman/ Superman at times but the Recent  Worlds Finest run worked pretty well. Big Surprise,I liked the TAS take better.I also enjoy the less omnipotent versions of everyone early on. I just wish there had been less throw out the baby with the bath water.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:29:06 AM »

I agree about luthor His motivations just seemed better to me. Less kryptonite is better too. I think post crisis went a little to far with Batman/ Superman at times but the Recent  Worlds Finest run worked pretty well. Big Surprise,I liked the TAS take better.I also enjoy the less omnipotent versions of everyone early on. I just wish there had been less throw out the baby with the bath water.

Less kryptonite and vastly depowering Superman along with his villians was a huge mistake. In a way, it's quite funny that DC editorial accomplished exactly the opposite of what they set out to do. The Iron Age Superman simply had no physical challenge before Doomsday.

Mongul was made into a complete wuss who got smacked around by a depowered Superman as opposed to the PC version which could take whatever Supes could throw at him and come back for more. Superman only defeated him after pulling out all stops and passed out shortly afterwords. And this was after Mongul had trashed the Justice League (inlcuding Supergirl) and briefly skirmished the LOSH. Another annoyance due to this was Darkseid being shoved into many stories.

Bizarro only appeared in a couple of stories before Emperor Joker brought him back full time.

The PU Zod was depowered to the point of being a joke.

Daxamite villians were out of the picture because of lead.

All of this nonsense is what led to 20 long years with the Kingpin ripoff.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L