superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's influence on Spiderman.  (Read 13536 times)
RonFez.net
Superman's Pal

« on: August 06, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »

Since Superman is the first comic book superhero, he is also the inspiration for many of them.  But I cannot find a popular character whose mythos has so much in common with big blue than Spiderman.  Seriously just think about

1. Both (at least originally) were bespectacled book worms and dressed in formal attire.
2. Both were adopted and raised by an elderly couple.
3. Daily Bugle, Daily Planet. (also don't you remember another kid who wore bowties and carried a camera) Wink
4. Similar color scheme.
5.  Originally Superman cracked one liners as much as Spiderman in fights.
6. Both their adopted fathers died.
7. Red headed girl next door, ring a bell?

So the next time someone asks " I wonder how Stan came up with Spider-man?".  You know what to say. Grin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »

Yes but it doesn't matter. The details are not important. There are only so many different superhero archetypes anyway. It's the particular take on that archetype that makes it unique. Spider-man borrowed a lot of details from Superman as you pointed out, but the comics read totally differently and they are two very different characters.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:23:33 AM »

Both have a villain named Electro.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:10:55 AM »

I notice in some of the early Spider-Man stories, Peter would always compare his situation to "other superheroes". Given that that early on the only other superheroes were the Fantastic Four, a team which didn't have secret identities anyway, he might have been refering to comic book heroes like Superman. Where I live we have the Spider-Man newspaper strip and they have made several references to Superman. All of them direct. I also have a Wolverine story that makes a reference to George Reeves! 
RonFez.net
Superman's Pal

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 02:59:50 AM »

Yes but it doesn't matter. The details are not important. There are only so many different superhero archetypes anyway. It's the particular take on that archetype that makes it unique. Spider-man borrowed a lot of details from Superman as you pointed out, but the comics read totally differently and they are two very different characters.

Ah, yes.  I just felt like making list.  I completely agree the reason spiderman is not a ripoff is because despite the factor that made it spiderman is a completely different product.  By the way does anyone know if the spiderman newspaper strip is reprints or new material?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 03:08:35 AM by RonFez.net » Logged
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 06:02:36 AM »

I notice in some of the early Spider-Man stories, Peter would always compare his situation to "other superheroes". Given that that early on the only other superheroes were the Fantastic Four, a team which didn't have secret identities anyway, he might have been refering to comic book heroes like Superman. Where I live we have the Spider-Man newspaper strip and they have made several references to Superman. All of them direct. I also have a Wolverine story that makes a reference to George Reeves! 

There's an incident in Amazing Spider-Man #306, where Peter and Mary-Jane are hurrying to a book-signing event.  Peter accidentally bumps into a student on his way to sell his comic collection at a local convention.  Gathering up the spilled comic books, Peter notes to Mary-Jane that he used to read comics as a kid and once had a "crush" on the heroine featured on one cover.  Later at his book signing, Mary-Jane surprises Peter with the same comic book, commenting that she bought it for him to show that she wasn't envious of the "other girl" in his life.

That comic book was Action Comics #285, where Superman first introduces Supergirl to the world.

He much have been reading reprints or old collections, since Action Comics #285 was published in February 1962, but Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was actually a fan of The World's Greatest Heroine.

And the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #306 is also a tribute to Action Comics #1.  See:

http://comics.imakinarium.net/autores/m/mcfarlane/tmspid306.jpg

(No, this scene does NOT happen inside the issue!   Wink

DTO
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 03:36:02 PM »

There's also the classic Avengers #93 (part of the Kree-Skull War sequence), where Hank Pym compares the inside of the Vision to "Metropolis...Fritz Lang's, not Clark Kent's."

As for the similarities between Supes and Spidey, even Doc Ock could get confused.  In one of the most famous comics bloopers of all time, he actually calls Spidey "Super-Man" in issue #3.

This looks like a job for...
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 09:11:18 PM »

Those examples are awesome! Shocked Now I gotta try and find those! I wonder how many Superman references there have actually been in Marvel comics. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L