superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to be a cartoonist without really trying  (Read 16103 times)
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »

I have a dedicated space for drawing and inking, and a large bottle of India Ink, and pens and brushes. But to get to that space I have to clear away the comic boxes, take all the books and papers off the table, clean my brushes and pens, wash my hands (so I don't get schmutz on the paper), do my inking, wait for it to dry...Then when I'm finished, clean the brushes and pens, make sure I put all the caps on the bottles of ink, make sure I haven't spilt ink all over the place and maybe on my comics, wash my hands...

With the brush pen, I can me impulsive and pick up a piece of paper any time and do something. I don't have to be in a special dedicated place, I don't have to wait for the ink to dry (since the ink dries immediately and doesn't schmutz), I don't have to worry about the heel of my hand resting on the paper, I don't have to wash my hands. I can ink anything anywhere anytime.

For the PPB, I've tried to be as basic as possible and not rely too much on technology. I have used some WORD lettering (Times Roman, Palatino Linotype) in places, but for the captions it's always hand lettered. And I use the PAINT program to fill in large areas of black. And I've done things like reversing the black and white. Plus special projects like the coloured "poster" pic. But I try to avoid doing too much drawing and inking on the computer--since the whole point of the exercise to get back to an aesthetic of old comics and cartoons.

However, even just using PAINT I can see how tempting it is to create everything on the computer. If I had a sophisticated programs plus all the bells and whistle, it would probably be just too easy to use that and give up on pen and paper.

India Ink
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »

In doing research for a possible meeting between Superman and PPB, I went looking through Eddy Zeno's book Curt Swan: A Life in Comics and found (to my surprise) some Polar Bear images by Curt...

One is from the eighties, inked by Dave Hunt, although I don't know where this was printed (Zeno, p.115):

Then there's this page that Swan did that was unpublished, about Superman marrying Lois Lane--Curt did all the work on it (pencils, inks, letters--Zeno, p.190):

(copyright DC Comics)

Sorry for the substandard quality of the peg. I can't seem to get my computer to scan and save good quality images.

India Ink
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »

Those images inspired me to do an alternate universe version (ahem--a series of Swan swipes), for a PPB panel sequence.

I also drew inspiration from Swan and Klein's cover for World's Finest Comics no. 172 (December 1967) for the third panel "punchline" (not to mention Leo Tolstoy, so I won't):

http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=21503&zoom=2

And I came up with this gag--

India Ink
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 04:31:28 PM »

Meanwhile, the long forgotten meeting between Superman and PPB revealed itself (and two Caped Crimefighters snuck into the act)...

India Ink
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »

(Copyright held by the respective copyright holders)

Here's some variant pics I did for that meeting...

India Ink
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 04:47:34 PM »

Meanwhile, here's a special colour (for the web only) issue no. 7 of The Pantomime Polar Bear, featuring that "Summer of Love" panel (go to my website for more), ...

(copyright 2007 Jimmm Kelly--aka India Ink)

India Ink
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »

Um, any opinions, responses, helpful tips would be nice, folks.

India Ink
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 09:33:33 PM »

I do like them, I'm just trying to get a sense of the characters a bit more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L