superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor Superman villains that could use a makeover?  (Read 9168 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 08, 2007, 03:18:32 PM »

Alan Moore's terrifying take on Mongul, as an unstoppable alien juggernaut was an absolutely wonderful twist to a previously unmemorable space-enemy. And the Johns/Busiek take on the Prankster was a wonderful way to turn a minor, irritating nuisance into a charismatic and unique foe.

I'd love to see a return or re-use of Karb-Brak, simply because his motivation was so interesting: he wanted to kill Superman because he was allergic to his powers, and needed to simply to survive.

Chemo and the Galactic Golem, two of Len Wein's favorite creatures, are incredible characters and have incredible looks - there's no need to redesign them visually the way, say, it would be necessary to redesign someone like Kanjar Ro or Chronos. But to use them in a context where they are the lethal, unkillable monsters they are? That would be something.

I'd love to see the Galactic Golem in a future Superman movie. Imagine his look duplicated with advanced CGI.

How about Cary Bates's Momentus, Master of the Moon? I mean, think about how bizarre he is: Isaac Asimov as a giant blob monster superliquid whose greatest weakness is Superman's supergravity body...or whatever. That story had a Jack Cole Plastic Man feel to it: even after you read it you have trouble saying what its about.

I always liked Terra-Man's stories (the one where Superman defeats him by playing to his superstitious nature was a wonderful bit of characterization) but the more I read them the more I realize the stories work in spite of him, not because...and while I have been critical of the reboot version, in all honesty it's hard to imagine a version of Terra-Man that's worse. ANYTHING would be an improvement.

It would be great to see Matrix-Prime again, however...not as a Superman enemy. He's more a kind of machine that could fight someone like the Teen Titans. The idea he would be a menace to someone like Supergirl is laughable.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »

I'd like to see a return to Mongul's pre-Crisis characterization, a scheming alien tyrant who could take all that Superman could dish out and come back for more. If anything, it would keep Darkseid out of the picture.

The Atomic Skull was another of my favorites and made a cameo in the last issue of Action.

Amalak is set to return.

A revamped Composite Superman could be fun.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:14:08 PM »

Are you ever going to fix your avatar DBN?

Let's see here...

Electro Wink

a new Flame-Dragon would be nice too.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:02:39 PM »

Electro can breath new life into Amalak's dead pre-Crisis body... Grin
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:43:26 AM »

How about the abominable snowman from Superman #266? The one who could turn Superman to ice just by touching him. I bet they could make him really scary looking today, even give him a better origin.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:11:46 AM »

The Petrified Spaceman.

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Petrified_Spaceman
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 07:43:52 PM »

I would like to see the return or revamp of Super-Menace. That was the exact double of Kal-El, an energy-duplicate, created by aliens on Kal-El's trip to Krypton---who was raised by CRIMINALS. He had two abilities Superman lacked---Kryptonite didn't effect him, and he could turn into pure energy.  Which he did at the end of the full-issue story (rare in those days), destroying his parents who called him a "freak" repeatedly.
    Definitely a case of nurture vs. nature, there. ---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:17:27 AM »

Quote from: Ruby Spears Superman
 How about the abominable snowman from Superman #266? The one who could turn Superman to ice just by touching him. I bet they could make him really scary looking today, even give him a better origin.

Now THAT is a cool idea.

Quote from: alschroederIII
I would like to see the return or revamp of Super-Menace.

Have you read the Subjekt 13 story?

(Written, I should add, by your old rival from the Roy Thomas INVADERS lettercols.)

It pretty much WAS a revamp of Super-Menace (though it at first did not appear to be so, an unexpected plot twist). And it was a very emotionally powerful story.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L