superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:24:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor Superman villains that could use a makeover?  (Read 8963 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 06:35:42 AM »

Busiek has plans for the Galactic Golem. He mentioned this in the "Ask Kurt Busiek" thread over at Comic Bloc.

I've always loved the Galactic Golem. I always bought him as a bigger threat to Superman than someone like Doomsday.

Speaking on Mongul, the post-Crisis version of his character was far too watered-down for my tastes. The pre-Crisis Mongul wouldn't have been a lackey to the Cyborg-Superman. Thankfully, Mongul II (the son of Mongul) seems to be more like the pre-Crisis version.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 07:53:33 AM »

I've never really cared for Mongul II either. He was used as nothing more than a punching bag for Supes and a chewtoy for Krypto ever since he was introduced. Now he's a minor Green Lantern threat. Tongue

The Mongul that killed a Controller to gain control over a Sun-Eater and used the Black Mercy against Superman is how the character should be portrayed, imho. Cool

NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 03:55:56 AM »

I've never really cared for Mongul II either. He was used as nothing more than a punching bag for Supes and a chewtoy for Krypto ever since he was introduced. Now he's a minor Green Lantern threat. Tongue
I didn't care for the ORIGINAL Mongul II (and his sister Mongal--ugh), but the most recent version of the character seems to be more like the pre-Crisis version. He even used the Black Mercy on Hal and Ollie. (I wonder if that means "For the Man Who Has Everything" is back in continuity. That'd be awesome.)

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 08:34:03 AM »

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing "For the Man Who Has Everything" back in continuity, since it could mean the return of the original Earth-1 Jason Todd.  Compared to the post-Batman #400 rebooted Jason Todd (who SHOULD have remained dead), I rather liked the first Jay -- even if a second orphaned circus acrobat strained credulity at times.  Remember it was Jason who delivered the finishing blow to Mongul -- literally knocking him out with a potted plant!  ;-)

DTO
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 03:15:36 AM »

Personally, I wish thye would just bring the whole pre-crisis universe back but that's probably not going to happen. Cry
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:10 AM »

One thing I always liked about the Kryptonite Man is, he had the sense to go after Superboy, who is helpless against him. If he goes up against the Flash or Green Lantern, he's as good as licked.

I mean, I can't think of a villain with a power quite as specific, which is only useful against one or two people on earth. The Melter was always paired up against Iron Man, against whom his melting-rays were always bad news. But even if you had the Melter fight, say, Spider-Man, he could still give a good account of himself, because his melty-ray can melt things other than Iron Man's armor, like chains that hold up steel beams, walls, webs, and even human flesh.

"The MELTER! If he gets his mitts on a micronized version of his melting ray...he'll be the most dangerous CROOK on EARTH!"

(You might want to re-assess that statement there, Tony.)

In any other comic, the Kryptonite Man's "power" would be more a curiosity or feature, like those mutants that only have powers like the ability to change brass into gaseous form, or the guy that can open car doors with his mind. Having Kryptonite powers against anybody else but Superman, is basically just another word for being a living nite-light.

"TREMBLE at my powers, puny EARTHLING SLAVES! See how I can read a book on an airplane...WITHOUT using my overhead light!"

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 01:50:38 AM »

Its like Goldface (or whatever the heck his name was) the big gold guy who fought Green Lantern. against anyone else he was pretty useless (though later they made him super strong and a crime boss)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L