superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you'd like to see in a future comic?  (Read 4772 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 10, 2007, 08:13:16 AM »

One character type that is common in science fiction and yet nonexistent in superhero comics is the sort of Nietzchean Superman figure - a character that is amoral, yet we admire them because they are so charismatic and intelligent, visionaries beside whom all men are little men.

Examples of this type include the spy from SKYLARK FROM SPACE, Lord Asriel from HIS DARK MATERIALS, and Kier Gray, dictator of Earth from A.E. van Vogt's SLAN. The way he ruthlessly suppressed a coup in his own party was jaw-droppingly incredible.

Unlike his thuggish councilors who engaged in mindless anti-Slan prejudices, Kier Gray said "God, what I wouldn't give for one Slan scientist, that your brainless secret police gunned down in the streets like a dog..." Somehow, that made him MORE, not less frightening!

Also, I'd love to see a sidekick who is arguably more competent and interesting than the main hero, a Mr. Spock-type.

It would be fun to see the Atom do some shrinking to benefit science. He did an eye-operation in Waid's JLA, but there's so much more. For instance, what about the tiny shafts in the Great Pyramid they sent a robot with a camera into? They couldn't go very far because the robot was as finicky as a Norwegian prom-date, but what if there was something really neat down there?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:29:30 AM »

I'd like to see a story on how superheroes affect society around them. The mere existence of these beings should have an impact akin to the development of the atom bomb and the subsequent atomic age.

To go a bit further, contact with alien races and the confiscated technology that was left over from the various invasion, incursion, crossovers, ect. should push how humanity is portrayed in comics out of a contemporary setting. Heck, even the stuff confiscated from the many Earthbound evil geniuses should be sufficient to get the ball rolling.
AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:33:06 PM »

One character type that is common in science fiction and yet nonexistent in superhero comics is the sort of Nietzchean Superman figure - a character that is amoral, yet we admire them because they are so charismatic and intelligent, visionaries beside whom all men are little men.

Examples of this type include the spy from SKYLARK FROM SPACE, Lord Asriel from HIS DARK MATERIALS, and Kier Gray, dictator of Earth from A.E. van Vogt's SLAN. The way he ruthlessly suppressed a coup in his own party was jaw-droppingly incredible.

Unlike his thuggish councilors who engaged in mindless anti-Slan prejudices, Kier Gray said "God, what I wouldn't give for one Slan scientist, that your brainless secret police gunned down in the streets like a dog..." Somehow, that made him MORE, not less frightening!

Also, I'd love to see a sidekick who is arguably more competent and interesting than the main hero, a Mr. Spock-type.

It would be fun to see the Atom do some shrinking to benefit science. He did an eye-operation in Waid's JLA, but there's so much more. For instance, what about the tiny shafts in the Great Pyramid they sent a robot with a camera into? They couldn't go very far because the robot was as finicky as a Norwegian prom-date, but what if there was something really neat down there?

I think characters like Ra's Al-Ghul (spelling?) and Luthor can fit the bill for the charismatic amoral ubermenschen-type. Certainly what I always liked about Ra's was that he wasn't necccessarily evil, just a bit nuts and incredibly driven by a cause he is convinced is right. A cause he will do anything to advance. For that matter, I'd argue that Kobra fits the bill as well. Also: Owlman. While these guys aren't exactly admirable morally, there is something very attractive about their power, skill, courage (I've always believed that Lex has to be the most courageous villain around), and resolve.

For a sidekick who is more competent/interesting than their heroic partner, I'd point to  Silver/Bronze Age Hawkgirl.

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L