superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy Grail of Superman figures is coming!!!!  (Read 15323 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 03:25:15 PM »

That 'Swan' has a Boring chest!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 04:19:09 PM »

I'm saving my cash for a Gil Kane-style Hal Jordan figure. He drew that character in such a distinctive way, and nobody else ever drew him quite "right."

If they ever do Dave Cockrum style Legionnaires, count me in! They did a whole bunch of Silver Age style Legionnaires from DC Direct, which is not the same. I mean, sure, Ultra Boy's got the same outfit, but...he's nowhere near as built as he was in the 1970s, so it feels all wrong.

If they did Von Bek figures, wouldn't the "Holy Grail of Von Bek figures" be the...actual Holy Grail?  Cheesy

When it comes to really authentic figures, I'm really lovin the MacFarlane Conan dolls. It's great to see a Conan in something other than the cheesy furry underwear pop culture puts him in, which Conan never really wore.

Incidentally, blink and you missed the John Carter/Pellucidar action figures for the Tarzan: the Epic Adventures series...

http://www.erbzine.com/mag13/1398.html

Man, who do I have to kill for a "City of Gold Tarzan" or "Tars Tarkas" figure? I'd check it up on ebay.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:49:35 PM by Super Monkey » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »

I agree the "Superman" half of Compy is much more Swan-like.  If memory serves, that one was sculpted by Tim Bruckner, who I believe no longer works with DC Direct.  Too bad.

That said, this figure still looks much, much more like Superman as I envision him than ANY figure to date, so I'm definitely getting it.  The barrel chest is, yes, more a Boring thing, but not atypical of Swan's early days on the character, and the high forehead is also right.

Historically, DC Direct has been fairly responsive to customer input/complaints, so it's not impossible they'll tweak this thing to something that'll please everyone.  But again, while it's not my dream Swan figure, it is really nice and I'm in.

If they ever do Dave Cockrum style Legionnaires, count me in! They did a whole bunch of Silver Age style Legionnaires from DC Direct, which is not the same. I mean, sure, Ultra Boy's got the same outfit, but...he's nowhere near as built as he was in the 1970s, so it feels all wrong.
\]

Don't hold your breath.  George Brewer's usual answer to requests for specific figures is "keep watching," but his answer when asked about more Legion figures is, "sorry, not going to happen."

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 01:02:57 PM by nightwing » Logged

This looks like a job for...
AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »

Yeah my local comic shop still has a bunch of Ultra and Chameleon Boys hanging on their bargain wall

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »

Incidentally, blink and you missed the John Carter/Pellucidar action figures for the Tarzan: the Epic Adventures series...

http://www.erbzine.com/mag13/1398.html

Man, who do I have to kill for a "City of Gold Tarzan" or "Tars Tarkas" figure? I'd check it up on ebay.

Whoaa..........are these new?Huh?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L