superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The saddest things about Supergirl  (Read 28821 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »

Supergirl is quite emotional through the decade of the 60s, people should read the books before commenting...  Grin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »

You know, the orphanage thing has always bothered me. It's not the response that we expect from Superman, and if a single continuity had been kept, Supergirl's arrival could have been the one event that softened the hard-edged Golden Age Superman to his Silver-Age counterpart. Instead, he completely neglected parenting and dumped her into an orphanage.

Maybe he thought that was good parenting...after all, his parents sent him elsewhere to be adopted. However, when the Kents put him in an orphanage, they did come back to get him later... so the analogy is bad.

Superman has only vague memories of Krypton exploding. Supergirl, on the other hand, was much older when everyone started to die of radiation poisoning. She might have rejected the idea of new parents altogether, and she probably would have jumped out of that rocket sobbing, not saying "Superman! I'm your cousin Supergirl! Tada!" Overall, I like the Loeb idea of her being a little rebellious at first and her training and counseling with the Amazons instead of immediate dumping into Midvale.

The other sad, tragic thing about Supergirl is that we've never seen her grow up. What would she be like in old age? Crisis prevented us from knowing that.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

VanZee
Supermen of America

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »

Quote from: VanZee
Awkwardness with superpowers

Also another characteristic someone as competent as Supergirl does not have.

http://superman.nu/tales3/greatest/?page=72

Quote from: JulianPerez

Quote from: VanZee
It would have been great to send her on a couple of dates with a Reggie type.... "If looks could kill...."

There are many characters I can see as dating jerks. Pre-Englehart Scarlet Witch, for instance, comes to mind, because she was impressionable and not a very assertive person (which changed when she got the courage to admit she loved an artificial man).

Supergirl is very, very low on that list as well. Like I said, she's tough.

I did not mean SG would not "own" such a jackass.  Would not give him a few scorching looks of reproach with her volcanic blue eyes.  Would not take his hand playfully in hers and lightly grind a few bones.  Plant a girlish coma-inducing superkiss at evening's end.  I meant only that I would have liked to have seen it.  Dick Malverne was dullsville.

I would have also have liked to have seen that teeny little girl put Mongul in a hammerlock and make him cry....
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 01:46:17 AM »

I found Supergirl to have much more depth and sensitivity than either shrews Lana or Lois during the Silver Age. 

Her portrait by her "Boswell" Jim Mooney still flies high above my desk to this very day.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 03:38:01 AM by Klar Ken T5477 » Logged
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 01:49:25 AM »

I agree, I LIKED the fact that she had to struggle for a family and an identity...it was something different and I still think a story that appealed to young girls of the time.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »

I found Supergirl to have much more depth and sensitivity than either shrews Lana or Louis during the Silver Age. 

Her portrait by her "Boswell" Jim Mooney still flies high above my desk to this very day.

You're right, even though she was not an adult like Lois or Lana, her heart was always in the right place and she was often emotionally disturbed by aspects of her adventures.  L and L tended to have 2 or 3 pat emotional responses.

This is my fave new Supergirl image:

http://chodrawings.blogspot.com/2007/05/supergirl.html

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 03:41:36 AM »

This is my favorite image of Kara - a version colored by Nightwing appears in her Supermanica entry. Mr.  Mooney recreated it for me.  Smiley It's the Supergirl I first fell in love with.

http://www.heroesink.com/images/Mooney/Supergirl%20standing%20on%20planet.jpg
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 05:15:26 AM »

We should remind ourselves that Jim Mooney is still alive and kicking!  He worked for Marvel on ons of stuff including Spidey, Stan Lee's Pussycat, and Gerber's Omega.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L