superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Batson & the Magic of Shazam  (Read 14259 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 14, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »

DC just announced this at the Chicago Wizard World comic book convention: 3 new series for kids under the "Johnny DC" label.

The titles are Tiny Titans, Superfriends, and Billy Batson.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=124773

The above link is an interview with editor Jann Jones:

JJ: Yeah, this is my baby. It’s something that I feel really strongly about. I’ve been reading comics since I was a little kid, and that all fueled me to getting this moving. So when we started looking around, as I said, we found Art pretty quickly, and then, we heard Mike Kunkel might be available, Dan’s first reaction was, “Shazam!”

NRAMA: Meaning the book, not a Gomer Pyle-style interjection?

JJ: [laughs] Right – and Dan has to be careful saying that word, because when he does, lightning starts flying. Anyway, we talked to Mike, and he was very excited about the opportunity, and we all realized that Jeff Smith had laid some really important groundwork down, not only with the character, but how the larger audience is willing to look at him. With Jeff’s miniseries, we really established that we can have different versions of Shazam and the other Marvel Family characters co-existing within the DC Universe at the same time. So Mike is really picking up where Jeff left off and it’s amazing.

NRAMA: To be specific about it – is what Mike doing a continuation of Jeff’s Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil?, or just reminiscent of it?

JJ: It definitely captures a lot of the family and the fun and innocence of Jeff’s miniseries, but it’s not a sequel – it’s not Shazam 2: Electric Boogaloo, although that is a god title. [laughs]

NRAMA: So we’ve got Bill Batson and the Magic of Shazam by Mike Kunkel, Tiny Titans by Art Baltazar, and what else?

JJ: Super Friends with Sholly Fisch – he writes for CPW – Children’s Publishing Workshop, and he’s working on a lot of our kids’ books now. The characters in that series will be based on the designs from the Mattel toy line. The art on the first issue is by Dario Brizuela, and from there the interiors will rotate between artistic teams – the second issue is by Joe Staton and Horacio Ottolini, but all covers will be done by J. Bone.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:12:51 PM »

for those who don't know who Mike Kunkel is:

http://www.theastonishfactory.com/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:59:57 AM »

I'm not getting my hopes up... if THIS is what it's going to look like, courtesy of the Marvel Family Web http://www.marvelfamily.com/

Here Kunkel says he's a big fan of Cap... so why not DRAW Cap, rather than a Ren and Stimpy version: http://www.kunkelshazam.blogspot.com/
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »

I'm not getting my hopes up... if THIS is what it's going to look like, courtesy of the Marvel Family Web http://www.marvelfamily.com/

Here Kunkel says he's a big fan of Cap... so why not DRAW Cap, rather than a Ren and Stimpy version: http://www.kunkelshazam.blogspot.com/

Any and I do mean any, Captain Marvel series written for children is a wonderful thing. The artwork appears to be the common animation house style aimed at kids but looks more like Kyle Baker's work. That's really odd.

I hope it's a good blend for adults and children. I am on board.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:42:50 PM »

Sure the artwork may get some getting used to, but this guy's head sure seems to be in the right place story-wise, plus anything is better than what is happening to the marvel family in DC proper, or should that be improper?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 04:35:32 PM »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=130089

I'm surprised this series didn't get green lit for Cartoon Network. It's perfect.

"And also to answer the “big question”: Are they the same person or not? In the stories I’m telling, Captain Marvel and Billy Batson are absolutely one in the same."

Jeff Smith handled this much better. Sure there was bellyaching on some message boards but the one persona angle doesn't work. Captain Marvel is not Billy Batson and vice versa. At least, this is how I understand CC Beck's original intention.  Tongue

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 03:14:57 AM »

You know... I'm still turned off by the art... the comments on the linked page sound favorable, but the CC Beck style art would be perfect.  I thought "Dr Sivana" was an alien or something til I looked at the larger picture.

I DO like the way Black Adam is going to be depicted, though... a 14 year old boy who turns into an adult, the way Billy does.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »

I really have a mental problem with that style of art

I'm always 100% for anything Captain Marvel related...I'm even sticking with the Trials of Shazam, so I'll certainly grit my teeth and deal with my issues I suppose
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L