superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr. Action  (Read 5766 times)
AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: August 19, 2007, 07:19:06 PM »

While i am still pretty nonplussed about the majority of what goes on in Countdown, I DO like what DC is doing with Superman's Pal. Jimmy has acquired so many super-powers and strange abilities over the years that it seems only natural that he would eventually become a superhero himself. Moreover, I like that he uses powers that are randomly generated from his classic transformations. I actually think A Mr. Action book, if it kept a fun and "tongue-in-cheek" tone could be pretty gosh darn "Super-Duper!"

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:48:10 AM »

Interesting stuff. In all honesty, I haven't had the opportunity to read COUNTDOWN, though it sounds interesting.

I've always liked the SUPERMAN FAMILY "Jimmy Olsen, Mr. Action" backups, because they had Jimmy as a gutsy young hero in his own right: doing Karate, chasing smugglers using SCUBA gear, etc.

I am very much enjoying how Jimmy is being written in the Superman books currently, as Clark Kent's confidant who occasionally ribs and needles him out of respect. In the Busiek book, he got all the best lines.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:52:58 AM »

In the 70s, Jimmy was the Big Jim doll of DC Comics.  Mr. Action would do all sorts of manly feats --1/2 Jim Rockford, 1/2 Bruce Jenner.

A fave recent read had Jimmy saving Steve Lombard with his hang-gliding skills.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 01:08:41 PM »

just in time to cash in on this book:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L