superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tone  (Read 8963 times)
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »

I imagine the Encyclopedist (our fictional narrative voice who catalogues these entries) as an educated man or woman that, however, has had no contact with the outside world except via books which he keeps in his large library.

The Encyclopedist gives some credence to other books, but he gives greatest importance to those comic books that arrive in his dusty letterbox as these portray the most vivid picture of the world out there that he imagines must exist.

As the Encyclopedist believes the comics to be true (and apparently all the letterpages are cut out, before they arrive in the letterbox--some sort of Darma Initiative must be manipulating things behind the scenes), there should never be an assumption that puts the reality of the comic book in jeopardy.

And while Earth 2 and others now must be accepted, the Encyclopedist still believes that Superman exists in his/her world and has existed since Action Comics no. 1 (therefore there is one a priori Superman, although there may be several a posteriorialternates--as even TGSB admits to some degree).

Of course, it's impossible to enforce this assumption in Supermanica--but certain words that refer to our reality might be avoided.  Saying some story is a revision, for instance, is the wrong way to put it, in my view. Commenting, instead, that "the chroniclers seem to disagree on this point" or "there are alternate versions of this story in the chronicles" sounds better to me.

However, I like longwinded writing (when it serves a purpose), where others might want to be more direct.

India Ink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L