superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:55:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Marty Pasko Interviews  (Read 2448 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: August 25, 2007, 12:21:23 AM »

Part 1:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/wordballoon/WBmartypasko.mp3

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »

Martin Pasko is by far, one of my favorite Bronze Age Superman writers, right up there with Cary Bates and the great Len Wein.

In fact, it's instructive to compare Marty to my hero, "Stainless" Steve Englehart: both were fans-turned-pros, both have Masters Degrees in Psychology (and use that expertise when it comes to producing 3-D characters and great characterization), both are characterization-heavy and like to explore uncommon elements of the DC and Marvel universes.

What I find interesting is that he spends a lot of time talking about the role of editors, like Schwartz and Orlando. He strongly believes in the control of the editor, as opposed to the talent. Interesting perspective.

I also like Marty's definition of Superman: "he's a fantasy character you can relate to." There are many human, powerful elements about him: for instance, his lost homeworld. I like his idea that "being different becomes a part of your identity."

He talks about the sense of burden that Superman has, bestowed by his abilities and responsibilities, which is an intriguing take.

Also, I love his view of Smallville - a bizarre, nostalgic place that existed in a time-warp.

I also agree with Pasko. A perspective has come to dominate comics that "emphasizes nobility, instead of looking for chinks in the armor." I agree with the Joe Orlando when he says that every story should have a moral dillemma for its protagonist.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L