superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Byrnes artwork  (Read 28503 times)
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« on: August 26, 2007, 04:09:30 AM »

I know his name is a four letter word among pre-crisis fans, but I really do like his art from the mid eighties. Especially his interiors of buildings and the detail required. So my question is, could the post crisis revision have gone better if Byrne drew it but someone else had written and planned it (Like, I don't know, someone who would have tried to address his Legion history before setting pencil to paper? Just a thought. Roll Eyes)?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 04:29:26 AM »

Of course! Johnny Red beard's artwork was never anywhere near as awful as his writing.

I believe that Cary Bates actual summited a proposal for a Superman revamp, but it was rejected by DC.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
The Marvel
Superman Fan

A Real Man Of Mystery

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »

John Byrnes artwork is my favorite.

My parents are DEAD!--Harry Potter

up...UP....AND AWA... aw screw it ill walk

*Call me the Post Crisis Expert!*
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »

I would love to have seen what Chris Claremont could have done with Superman. Given the unfavorable terms he left Marvel on, it probably wouldn't have been that hard to lure him away.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 11:21:44 PM »

I'll say this first, the reboot wasn't need. Byrne on the books after COIE would have been "big" enough to bring in new readers.

That being said. Alan Moore was in the running for rebooting Supes but lost out to Byrne (which is sorta like DC giving Loeb the superman book after Morrison asking for it...oh wait that did happen).

Alan Moore writing and Byrne drawing a superman book. now that would be an actual classic.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 03:18:06 AM »

I enjoy Byrne's artwork, for the most part.  But, does anyone else think that Curt Swan could've drawn Superman as a Christopher Reeve homage with much the same effect?

DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:14:42 AM »

I've never been much of a fan of Byrne's artwork, it looks ok when you have Terry Austin or Karl Kessel pulling inking duties. Otherwise, yeesh.

I would have liked it much better had Garcia Lopez took over penciling duties after Swan's time was up.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 01:45:10 PM »

Generally I'd agree that JB's writing is even weaker than his art, but I have to say one of, if not the only Superman story I enjoyed from his run was that vampire tale in the Annual with art by Art Adams.  This might have something to do with the fact that Batman's in the book, and JB has always been much better at Bats than Supes.

It's a funny thing, re: his art.  I was digging through some boxes recently and found no less than 3 books dedicated to JB's art and interviews, so obviously at some point in history I was quite enamored of him.  Looking back I think this was almost entirely due to his dynamic pencils on X-Men, where Terry Austin gave him the extra polish he needed (Austin made Marshall Rogers' quirky artwork more "user-friendly" in much the same way).

Karl Kesel was another good inker for JB, Dick Giordano less so (polishing is one thing, drowning another).  When he jumped back to Marvel for the FF, the art took a huge nosedive as he started inking his own stuff, with hideous results.  Much later in the run, however, Jerry Ordway's inks literally made a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L