superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Byrnes artwork  (Read 28329 times)
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2007, 03:28:55 AM »

come on guys. Can't we all agree that the byrne marvelized version sucked just as much as "for tomorrow"

Wink

PS. I really hated superman needing a mask to breathe in space. He doesnt breathe in space, he could just hold his breath for a really long time.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 07:25:32 AM »

Yes, we can agree - Byrne´s Superman sucked as much as "For Tomorrow", but Byrne have done the greatest damage to the character. It was his revamp that destroyed everything unique and special about Superman, from cold and sterile Krypton to the supermurder storyline.  "For Tomorrow" is just a bad story from a good Vertigo writer who have no place in a Superman comic, but, as least, followed some interesting themes like the messiah angle, Bronze Age/Maggin-esque moral questions and used Mark Waid´s Birthright backgroud. It was a bad Superman story, but with some good intentions. 
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2007, 07:53:37 AM »

Does Superman breath at all?  Arguably, no.  He is from a terrestrial planet but has been transformed into a solar battery who can fly through suns, faster than light, through the ages, etc.

The tiny super-oxygen mask is just dumb.

Why doesn't he wear a super-diaper so he doesn't super-excrete all over?  Why doesn't he take a super-lunchbox so he has some super-food and water.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 09:46:58 PM »

Unless Kryptonians evolved to the point where they no longer need mitochondria, I can still see why he would need to breath.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 10:14:07 PM »

People always said that superman can breath in space. Of course he can't! he could just hold his breath for a really long time.
He could probably fill his lungs to a far greater capacity than a normal human (like a SCUBA air tank)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2007, 11:05:50 PM »

there is no air in space, in real life, but in comics and Star Wars movies and the Super Friends TV cartoon show, there is.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »

Re: breathing...

The only reason we breathe is to oxidize our food, to get the energy that we need. If Superman can store solar energy, then he doesn't need to breathe (arguably, he would still need to exhale, but that's it.)

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 03:15:56 AM »

come on guys. Can't we all agree that the byrne marvelized version sucked just as much as "for tomorrow"

Wink

PS. I really hated superman needing a mask to breathe in space. He doesnt breathe in space, he could just hold his breath for a really long time.

No, I really can't.  Notwithstanding all the poor moments and changes everyone obsesses about. Byrne's was still enjoyable and heroic at times. I found nothing admirable in "for tomorrow".  On the other hand, I hate "kingdom Come" also because it seems like core Iron age to me but others see it differently ( good lord, I HATE that book!) Any damage Byrne did is as nothing compared to the Superman later writers, not Byrne, that I had to look on as vastly morally inferior to myself.( and I'm just a guy nothing special)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L