superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Byrnes artwork  (Read 28505 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »

Art Adams on the other hand is amazing.
See here: http://home.pacbell.net/adbm3/ArtAdams.htm

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:54:51 PM »

The only non-Superman Byrne stuff that I have is Alpha Flight. Yeah, I actually own some of that series.

Byrne's very first issue of Man of Steel was great, even breathtaking, if you forget about the some of the backstory. The rest of the series, and from what I've heard the rest of his two-year run, didn't hold up. It's a matter of personal preference, but I'd take Jerry Ordway's Superman art over Byrne's any day of the week. I'm not sure if he was around yet in '86, but any arguments that Superman needed a reboot and wasn't fresh enough would have been washed away by a long Moore/Ordway run on the character.

One can dream...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:14:51 PM »

I wanted to like Alpha Flight, but ultimately they worked a lot better as guest-stars in the X-Men.  It's a classic case of seeing characters that make you think, "Boy they should have their own book," only to later read that book and realize, "Um, no...no, they shouldn't."

Mostly I just liked Vindicator, and when he was killed off (in one of the early harbingers, for me, of the just-starting "Dark Age" of stunts and sales gimmicks) there wasn't much reason for me to keep reading about a bunch of 4th-stringers.  I mean, c'mon, Puck?  And what was Northstar but a poor man's Quicksilver, who in turn was just a so-so Flash imitator? 

It's like something a fan would cobble together in middle school.  Flash clone?  Check.  Hulk/Thing variant?  Check.  Waterborne hero?  Check.  And for good measure, let's rip off Captain Canuck, too.

This looks like a job for...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:30 PM »

Sounds like a smashing success to me...exclusively Canadian 4th-string superhero archetypes. They have two great characters, so they kill one and transfer one to the X-Men. What could possibly go wrong with this model?

Marvel wasn't the only publisher with this problem though...look at what DC did with the Justice League. Puck could have taken out half of the Geffen league by himself. I'm glad that DC finally (albeit slowly) figured out that popular things sell better.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »

I agree that Byrne's artwork never looked quite as good as with Terry Austin's inks, though Dan Green did a good job on Iron Fist, which may be my favorite Marvel comic ever, after Power Man and Super-Villain Team-up! Byrne's self-inked stuff just looks kind of clumsy; it's to densely inked and lacks the smmoth lines that would clarify Byrne's details. I thought Generations was interesting, if ultimately feeling a little too "fanfic"-y.

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:51 PM »

As an artist, John Byrne is incredible, very powerful. If you trip, you could fall into his layouts, he's that three-dimensional.

I've always been amazed by Byrne's IRON FIST, which is where he convinced me a martial arts book in comics form could be exciting: the multiple-panel blow, for instance. So much of what he did there is internalized into comics language.

Then of course, you've got Byrne's classic AVENGERS stint with Jim Shooter. Byrne had the good fortune to show up during the memorable Shooter Count Nefaria/Masters of Evil storyline, and much of the sheer energy and brutality of Count Nefaria's rampage worked to make that story as famous as it is. Shooter's Avengers was pretty well off when it came to art: Shooter had Perez for the Korvac Saga.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 01:38:41 AM »

Marvel wasn't the only publisher with this problem though...look at what DC did with the Justice League. Puck could have taken out half of the Geffen league by himself. I'm glad that DC finally (albeit slowly) figured out that popular things sell better.
The Giffen/DeMatteis 5 year run was reasonably popular.  It was Gerard Jones and Dan Jurgens few years afterwards where the death spiral really took place.  Remember the likes of Bloodwynd and Extreme Justice?  Ugh.  No one could find a way to maintain the laughs or the sales after Giffen moved on.

Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 03:04:03 AM »

The arguments both for and against a revamp could go on forever (and have for the past twenty years), my complaint was less the fact that they revamped him and more with how it was handled, other then the billionair Luthor,(which wasn't even his idea) and the return of one color kryptonite, there was very little I liked about it. Byrne was an exceptional artist and in truth I would love to get his whole Superman and Fantastic Four runs just for the artwork alone. I don't know anyone who does slick interiors better then him.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L