superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Byrnes artwork  (Read 27733 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 03:34:40 AM »

Unless Kryptonians evolved to the point where they no longer need mitochondria, I can still see why he would need to breath.

I guess the argument is that he doesn't need to breath --no mitochondria, no cell division, no metabolizing of anything besides solar energy.  And who says that Kryptonians had mitochondria --maybe their biological structure was entirely alien?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 04:31:29 AM »

Quote from: Super Monkey
there is no air in space, in real life, but in comics and Star Wars movies and the Super Friends TV cartoon show, there is.

-1 Karma! Cheesy

There aren't any comics where there is air in space.

Paul Levitz gave an explanation for the Legionnaires' ability to survive in space without suits: they actually DID wear spacesuits, which were automatic transparent "trans-suits," designed to not interfere with powers, that activated on contact with vacuum.

The "trans-suits" were not activated by "sudden" changes, so the gas weapons in something like, say, Tharok/The Dark Man's citadel or Gas Girl (from the Champions of Lallor) could affect the Legionnaires normally.

All in all, a good explanation.

Quote from: Gangbuster
The only reason we breathe is to oxidize our food, to get the energy that we need. If Superman can store solar energy, then he doesn't need to breathe (arguably, he would still need to exhale, but that's it.)

That makes sense.

Quote from: Superman Forever
Yes, we can agree - Byrne´s Superman sucked as much as "For Tomorrow", but Byrne have done the greatest damage to the character. It was his revamp that destroyed everything unique and special about Superman, from cold and sterile Krypton to the supermurder storyline.

Don't forget the damage done to the Metal Men. Yeesh. That's an annoying Byrne obession: establish the inhumanity, the lack of personhood of robots.

Johnny Redbeard did it to the Vision in AVENGERS WEST COAST (a story arc that irritates me far, far more than his Superman reboot ever did). Here's a character that under Thomas and Englehart and others, acquired a soul, the ability to love. He acquired friendship, emotions, belonging. And Byrne called him a "toaster."

I never read "For Tomorrow," so I can't comment on whether it is better or worse. (Hear that, TELLE? Cheesy I'm keeping my mouth shut because I haven't read something. )

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2007, 09:18:32 AM »

That is the same reason I don't respond to many of your arguments.  Wink

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2007, 01:26:23 PM »

of course there is Air in Space. how else could you hear anything (like explosions or punching someone)

der!!!!!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:39 PM »

Re: breathing...

The only reason we breathe is to oxidize our food, to get the energy that we need. If Superman can store solar energy, then he doesn't need to breathe (arguably, he would still need to exhale, but that's it.)
He needs to exhale if he's going to use his super-freeze breath to freeze things in outer space.  Smiley

I came up with a theory awhile back that his freeze breath really created a localized temporal anomaly and stopped time.  The ice was his "exhale" to some degree, but mostly a byproduct of atomic motion being stopped as air and moisture hits the localized temporal anomaly. 

Does he need to exhale to use super-ventrilloquism?  Now that's a fun one!

carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2007, 02:36:59 AM »

here is my totally made up explantation (which makes no scientific sense and I dont feel like doing research)

He super compresses Air in his lungs so that when he releases it , its really really cold. I am not sure if he stores oxygen in his lungs as a liguid oxygen (as I have no idea what that actually is)

as for superventrilloquism. you got me. regular ventrilloquism is just a trick, its not actually throwing your voice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L