superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Superman still function as a Hero after exposure to Gold-K??  (Read 14120 times)
Kevin1956
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: August 27, 2007, 10:52:40 PM »

Hi All,

Came across a topic somes days ago about Superman after being exposed to Gold-K.  I must apologise, but I lost the whereabouts of the topic and wanted to add these thoughts.

Would he still be able to function as a Superhero after being exposed to Gold-K and losing his powers?

Superman's powers developed because of the environmental difference between Krypton and Earth, plus the different solar radiation given out by a Red Giant and Earth's Yellow G type Sun.  Krypton's greater gravity must have caused Kryptonians to evolve with a denser molecular structure than that of the people of Earth, with a muscle structure being developed to enable a Kryptonian to function as virtually everybody can on Earth, ie move and lift objects.  These evolved modifications would not be effected by Gold-K exposure as they are  natural part of a Kryptonian's anatomy.  Therefore, in a low gravity environment, as found on Earth, Superman should still be able to leap quite high and long distances, plus his denser molecular structure should still provide him with some degree of invulnerability, ie, being shot at with small arms fire may bruise him, but heavier armanments, ie anti-tank missles etc, would give him serious injuries.  His Kryptonian developed muscles would also make him stronger than a normal human, ie being able to lift ten's of tons.

His other powers developed from the effects on his body by the different solar radiation output of Earth's Sol, than the radiation output from Krypton's Red Sun.  It can be argued that his body became a living Solar Battery powering his ability to have a variety of Super Vision powers, enhanced Super Senses, increasing his strength and healing ability and giving him the power of flight, (OK I can't explain that one very well), but the increase to his strength, enhanced his ability to leap higher and further, (the effect of being able to negate and control the effects of Earth's gravity on his body may have been artistic licence).

Exposure to Gold-K would probably negate the effects of the Yellow Solar Radiation enhanced abilities, leaving him to rely on his inborn abilities to still fuction as a hero.  Let us not forget his intelligence, as he could still develop a protective suit, with an exo-skeleton and other functions to mimic his lost powers.

I'm not a scientist, just a bloke who has been reading Superman Comics for the past 46 years.
AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:01:10 PM »

"Superman Under the Green Sun" really illustrates for me how the powers aren't what really makes Superman Super. Even powerless and blind Superman manages to save the whole planet! He also conciously attempts to emulate his Justice league teammates who lack special powers.

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:36:20 PM »

Ya I guess Supes would still alot more powerful than a normal human even after gold K.  (maybe he'd be around early Golden Age superman?). but I guess the writers would make him just a normal human (in terms of strenght) because they do that EVERY time supes loses his powers.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:48:11 PM »

On paper, that sort of makes sense, but there was no evidence that Quex-Ul or Superman's "son" (in an imaginary story) ever retained any extraordinary qualities above that of a nomal Earth person.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »

This possibility has been explored a few times, and I think the official stance is that exposure to Gold K would leave Superman with no more physical powers than any normal (if very fit) man.

However, in at least a couple of stories -- imaginary and otherwise -- Superman has lost his powers and continued crimefighting under a new ID.  This one springs to mind:

This looks like a job for...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »

Would he still be able to function as a Superhero after being exposed to Gold-K and losing his powers?
Your post title says "hero", then you say "superhero" and mostly talk about how his powers work. 

I don't think anyone here doubts he'd be a hero. 

As a superhero, though...  I dunno.  Is Batman a superhero?  Is Luthor a supervillain?

Really, this gets back to where Superman's powers come from.  Is it gravity, solar radiation, atmosphere conditions (an explanation for his powers that was eventually dropped), a mix, etc.?  How do his powers work?

Does he have "powers" that are purely a function of his physiology?  Should Kryptonians be better able to retain extract oxygen (or perhaps alternate power sources) from whatever is in their lungs (including water) to account for Krypton's noxious atmosphere?  Should Kryptonians be able to see in the UV and IR spectra and avoid easy blindness because Krypton's lightning extremes are so intense?  How smart is the average Kryptonian and why?  Are there extra organs on Kryptonians? 

I think the only way that Gold K makes sense in its portrayal is if it literally turns him "human" (not just removes his powers), or if there's only one power source for Superman's powers for it to short-circuit.  Canon on the latter has varied over time. 

I'd like the idea of Superman being "1938" powerful even if the energizing effects of particular frequencies of solar radiation were taken out of the picture.  It'd be nice to see more of the "leap tall buildings" aspect.

Would he still function as a superhero?  The most recent incarnation has Superman more or less not wanting his powers, his powers going away for a year (with all sorts of "powers" implications), and him being a crusading reporter.  Earth-2 Clark Kent did much the same thing after The Wizard "buried" Superman. 
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »

Apparently, exposure to gold K also removed any dress sense he had.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »

Yes, even with his powers removed Superman still has the sufficient technology and know-how to continue functioning as a superhero.

Or Hal could offer to give him a power ring. Though, I don't know how Supes would react to taking orders from a bunch up stuck up blue midgets in red dresses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L