superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver Age Continuity  (Read 29043 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 09:11:57 AM »

Quote from: TELLE
With the exception of a few serialized manga series and one or two alt comics that come out 2 or 3 times a year, I no longer read any continuity-style comics on a monthly basis. 

"...but I've STILL got an opinion on it, just the same!" Cheesy

Hey, just because I haven't had a pull list since 1988 doesn't mean you can discount the power of current-comics-continuity-knowledge-through-osmosis.  I surf a ton of internet interviews, previews, reviews, and illegal scans in the course of my daily wanderings.  I probably "read" more comics (or partial comics) this way (ie, by serendipity) than I did 20 years ago.  Heck, your reviews and constant praise of Busiek's Superman run has given me a pretty good idea of what's up with that title, and I haven't even touched an issue.  Do I have to actually buy the fershlugginer thing?  As it is, the giant Rarebit Fiend collection just came out and, at about $130, ate up my discretionary comics budget for the summer. 

In addition, I don't walk past a comic rack or wall of trades in a bookstore without at least flipping through a few to see what's up.  I may not buy anything monthly, but I have been known to buy, or at least actually read real monthly comics. Add this to the tons of fan posts devoted to modern comics on this an other message boards I read, and I would say that I have enough knowledge to form an opinion, even though I don't have a long-box full of dog-eared modern "classics" to back it up. 

because the readership has been shrinking since 1945 and not enough writers, artists, and editors of a certain level are/were attracted to the business of kids comics.

Actually, I would argue the opposite: more than ever before, there are all these great writers flocking TO comics now [...]

The obvious example would be bestselling novelist Brad Meltzer.

Brad Meltzer is a certainly a writer "of a certain level". Unfortunately,  it is a very low level.  I am much more looking forward to reading Lethem's Omega revamp, even though I'm generally leery of stunt-writer vanity projects and think that this kind of high-concept revisiting of the character is misguided.  The dearth of more pulpy Omega stories over the last 30 years (besides, presumably, being a product of the Marvel/Gerber war) is sad: the old fan in me wanted to see him in the Avengers, etc.

In some ways, the level of craft brought to bear on modern adventure comics is higher than it has been in decades --unfortunate that I can't get as worked up over what modern writers and artists create.

"After all, not one of those modern-day hacks have the talent to create a character as beloved by the world as Kite-Man, H.E.R.B.I.E., or Bat-Mite."

Well, have they?  This was talked about on another thread: where are all the classic characters created since 1986?

Bat-Mite is a perfect example.  Many hard-core superhero comics fans hate Bat-Mite but the truth is he has entered the pop culture consciousness and is a stronger contender than many johnny-DC-come-latelies for immortality.  The untalented hacks who created him, two know-nothing wannabes named Bill Finger and Shelly Moldoff, were really on to something back in 1959.  The character had legs and was used in the 1970s cartoon where millions of members of my generation became acquainted with the lovable little brat.  The He-Man tv writers even ripped him off in the character of Orko.  In many ways, hatred of Bat-Mite by superhero comics fans is ironically a form of self-hatred:  Bat-Mite is the uber-fan, at once a funny comment on fandom, hero-worship, and childhood.  He should be the poster boy for the modern age of comics.

It occurs to me I've been a little hard on Superman's early Silver Age in this thread. But as godawful as a story that has Lois Lane temporarily transformed into a centaur, it's really no different from the un-read, un-loved characters in the DC or Marvel Universes. If characters like the Lab Rats, or minor Young Justice villains, are never seen or used again, it's like they never existed or the stories they were in never happened.

To be fair, many Lois Lane characters were open-ended and/or bland enough to have tons of potential for a smart modern writer to sink his or her teeth into.  Plus they were better designed (usually by Schaffenberger) than any modern garbage.

Quote from: JulianPerez
comics fandom was at least as up on the content of future books in the past as today. The internet just makes it easier. That's the striking thing about fandom: it really is no different now than it was in the fifties, and I defy anyone to show me something that exists today that didn't exist in some form in previous comics ages.

Sure, we all have come to know (some people here like Al Schroeder from first-hand experience) how the connectedness of that first gen of comics fans --a very tiny group-- created a news & gossip network that gradually evolved onto modern fandom.  But the difference between then (or even 1988) is one of several orders of magnitude, aided and abetted by the net which speeds up all aspects of life.  Not only is Warner/DC's hype machine able to penetrate the NYT's editorial firewall, but minor online fangasms about a cover image or leaked plot-point can be transformed into blog and messboard fodder for months, even spilling over into the "real" news sites and tv, and translating into sales bumps or at least urban legend.  The death stunts and reboots of the modern era and the resulting sales are the supreme example of the role of the net in spiking sales into the millions.  Something that never really happened in the past despite the best efforts of the primitive telegraphy of the old-school fans.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »

The Silver Age did have a continuity --it is up to us, the guardians of the legacy of the Silver Age Superman, to explain away its inconsistencies and joyously marvel at its excesses!

Continuity is important, certainly with the major themes. For example, suppose on one page Superman is being attacked by someone with green-K, then we are left to turn over the page wondering how he can escape, only to find that he all of a sudden has developed a power for neutralising green-K or can suddenly teleport himself out of dangerous situations.

So agree, with the above qoute: It's part of the fun of being a fan to explain away the inconsistencies as much we can.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 12:03:28 AM »

We as the readers have more freedom with the Silver Age and the pre-crisis Superman in general because we have more creative control in our interpretation of the character then we would have with a traditional continuity. It could even be argued that in order for him to work, we readers and fans have to fill in some of the blanks ourselves. And we can ignore stories we don't like. You don't get that with the modern continuities.

Or as the MST3K theme song used to say: Tell yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax! Grin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 03:37:55 AM »

It's true, the Silver Age seems to have more room for this, in large part because the Silver Age is over and, aside from DC releasing Showcase editions, the only people who have an investment in dissecting those old stories and keeping them alive are here on this board and in similar conclaves.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 04:06:28 AM »

Hey, just because I haven't had a pull list since 1988 doesn't mean you can discount the power of current-comics-continuity-knowledge-through-osmosis.

I can't believe you're seriously arguing that hearsay on the internet is just as legitimate a way of acquiring an opinion than actually reading the works themselves.

There are three reasons why I do discount and ignore such "views acquired through osmosis," and do not accept them as legitimate:

1) The utter hubris of this is staggering;

2) It's possible to be deceived by osmosis. Here's an example of what I mean: the current Dan Slott SHE-HULK is mislabeled a "comedy" series. It does have a wicked sense of humor, but apart from the first four "law with jetpacks" issues, the book is a very straightforward adventure/action book. Another incorrect view is that Chris Priest's THE CREW was a "black" book set in Da Ghetto. True, there are a great number of minority heroes featured, but the book is NOT "street," in the sense something like, say, POWER MAN is.

(This misconception actually sank THE CREW, because unlike the 70s, fans aren't in the mood for "street" stuff these days.)

3) If all you do is read opinions, you're deprived of context. Millions of fans refused to see STAR TREK II because they heard Spock would die, and millions more refused to see STAR TREK III because they were going to bring him back. Afterward, BOTH TIMES, what was the general reaction from people that actually saw it? "Oh, I didn't know you were going to do it THAT way."

I'd like to buy a parrot, name it SuperMonkey, and teach it to say, "BWAAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT! BWAAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT!" I'd never have to read another SuperMonkey post ever again.

"Hey, looks like SuperMonkey's got a comment about the latest issue of ACTION COMICS! What do you think he's going to say, Parrot SuperMonkey?"

"BWAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT! BWAAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT!"

Heck, your reviews and constant praise of Busiek's Superman run has given me a pretty good idea of what's up with that title, and I haven't even touched an issue.  Do I have to actually buy the fershlugginer thing? 

Yes. Yes you do, if you want to discuss it with any degree of intelligence.

Brad Meltzer is a certainly a writer "of a certain level". Unfortunately,  it is a very low level. 

QUESTION: How do you know that?

The dearth of more pulpy Omega stories over the last 30 years (besides, presumably, being a product of the Marvel/Gerber war) is sad: the old fan in me wanted to see him in the Avengers, etc

Gerber did have an opportunity to wrap-up the events of OMEGA in his DEFENDERS, which was, predictably enough, a rush-job ending on the level of Hunger Dogs.

Omega's too oddball a character to be in a book as "traditional superheroic" as AVENGERS. He's 100% Defender material, though. The thing I always loved about the Gerber DEFENDERS is his realization that, at some level, all the Defenders are socially unacceptable. Gerber did it first (and arguably, better) than X-Men later did.

I am loathe to say anything that could be interpreted as "Jack Kirby is the most super-special, uniquest guy that ever lived," (because he is just like any other creator, who is "influenced by" as much as influential) but it is true that Kirby and Steve Gerber's work were so personal in nature that I hesitate to see anyone else but Gerber or Kirby doing a continuation of their work. As much as I love Englehart, his DEFENDERS was fun, but didn't have Gerber's approach or understanding.

Well, have they?  This was talked about on another thread: where are all the classic characters created since 1986?

II'll tell you now what I said then: I reject the entire premise of this conversation, which has innovation in worldbuilding be a constant, neverending process. It isn't and it shouldn't be.

Eventually, there comes a point where the Marvel or DC earth is so well-established and developed that it not only isn't POSSIBLE to do some kinds of additions (e.g. giving Thor another brother, which would be unbelievable at this point, or creating a new underground kingdom: the Marvel Underground Earth is pretty mapped out now, to the point where any addition would involve answering "why doesn't the Mole Man, Project: Pegasus, or Tyrannus know of this?"), it isn't necessarily desirable, either.

Many hard-core superhero comics fans hate Bat-Mite but the truth is he has entered the pop culture consciousness

So have Jar-Jar Binks and the Electric Slide. He's still a crappy character.

The He-Man tv writers even ripped him off in the character of Orko.

Does it at all impact your assessment that Generation X and Yers despise Orko and find him annoying?

In many ways, hatred of Bat-Mite by superhero comics fans is ironically a form of self-hatred: 

Yeah, that would be pretty ironic...if fans despised Bat-Mite for being a fanboy, instead of because he's annoying and doesn't belong in Batman comics.

Bat-Mite is the uber-fan, at once a funny comment on fandom, hero-worship, and childhood. 

No. No he isn't.

To be fair, many Lois Lane characters were open-ended and/or bland enough to have tons of potential for a smart modern writer to sink his or her teeth into. Plus they were better designed (usually by Schaffenberger) than any modern garbage.

Yeah? Name me ONE.

I loved the idea of Diana Savage...but she was created in the Schwartz years, when Jimmy Olsen became an interesting "Mr. Action."

I love Kurt Schaffenberger and he is obviously very talented, but his cartoony art style is not appropriate for superheroes and adventure comics. In fact, I think Juan Bobillo and Chris Sprouse are a little too cartoony for adventure books, which is based on the tradition of guys like Foster, Kubert, Adams, and Buscema.

Sure, we all have come to know (some people here like Al Schroeder from first-hand experience) how the connectedness of that first gen of comics fans --a very tiny group-- created a news & gossip network that gradually evolved onto modern fandom.  But the difference between then (or even 1988) is one of several orders of magnitude, aided and abetted by the net which speeds up all aspects of life.  Not only is Warner/DC's hype machine able to penetrate the NYT's editorial firewall, but minor online fangasms about a cover image or leaked plot-point can be transformed into blog and messboard fodder for months, even spilling over into the "real" news sites and tv, and translating into sales bumps or at least urban legend.  The death stunts and reboots of the modern era and the resulting sales are the supreme example of the role of the net in spiking sales into the millions.  Something that never really happened in the past despite the best efforts of the primitive telegraphy of the old-school fans.

I think you're confusing two different things: fandom's information network, and media attention to comics.

Quote from: jimmy-neutron
For example, suppose on one page Superman is being attacked by someone with green-K, then we are left to turn over the page wondering how he can escape, only to find that he all of a sudden has developed a power for neutralising green-K or can suddenly teleport himself out of dangerous situations.

If Superman ever did that, that would have been a terrible, terrible story. That's why we even have continuity: to prevent that sort of thing from happening.

It's like that one issue of MIGHTY CRUSADERS where one of the characters says "Wait, I have the ability to teleport! But I never mentioned it before...and I can only do it once!"

Quote from: Ruby Spears Superman
We as the readers have more freedom with the Silver Age and the pre-crisis Superman in general because we have more creative control in our interpretation of the character then we would have with a traditional continuity.

I think this is making a common STTA error: confusing the Silver Age with Superman's sum total existence. The Schwartz-era Super-books had pretty tight continuity.

Quote from: Ruby Spears Superman
It could even be argued that in order for him to work, we readers and fans have to fill in some of the blanks ourselves. And we can ignore stories we don't like.

Actually, I think this is a real weakness of Superman comics for a great length of time.

I'm reading through ESSENTIAL IRON MAN VOL. 2 right now, as well as SHOWCASE FLASH, and the thing that strikes me as interesting about these two books is that all of the stories have significance, that they were built on.

How many Iron Man and Avengers stories have gotten mileage out of Whitney Frost/Madame Masque? How many have built directly on her inability to escape the criminal life and her actions taken in the first dozen issues of IRON MAN? The things introduced in the early Flash are forever after parts of the DC Universe: the battle with Captain Cold, his discovery of his ability to vibrate, the first team-up with Green Lantern, and so on.

But Superman at least for two and a half volumes of SHOWCASE, had collective MOMENTO-style amnesia. Very little of this stuff impacted later comics in any way. Superman never remembered there was a short time he was in the army. He never showed greater sympathy to ugly or disfigured people because he remembered having had a lion's head.

The fact this can be done for a great many details is a weakness, not a strength. It should not be up to the fans to do writers' work for them.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 04:37:07 AM »

I'd like to buy a parrot, name it SuperMonkey, and teach it to say, "BWAAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT! BWAAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT!" I'd never have to read another SuperMonkey post ever again.

"Hey, looks like SuperMonkey's got a comment about the latest issue of ACTION COMICS! What do you think he's going to say, Parrot SuperMonkey?"

"BWAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT! BWAAAAWK! JOHNS IS VIOLENT!"

In the case of the latest issue of Action your parrot would be correct.

Murderous, dark, zombie-like Bizarros Roll Eyes

I gave it a chance, but will not put forward any more money for any Johns-written books due to this crap. It's a shame too, I was looking forward to Gary Frank coming on board.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 04:48:05 AM »

I can't believe you're seriously arguing that hearsay on the internet is just as legitimate a way of acquiring an opinion than actually reading the works themselves.

The utter hubris to me is the refusal to accept that many fans of classic Superman appreciate the fact that they were meant for kids, were fun without intellectual posturing, and were NOT great literature and are NOT great literature today.

Call me when Busiek wins the Pulitzer...or when modern fans looking for deep characterization actually make up a minute fraction of the comics sales of the 1960s.

Honestly, a strong opinion that differs from mine is OK, but the refusal to accept another point of view is pretty myopic.

For years, I refused to even consider the "Left Behind" series of books as anything worth reading. I accidentally picked one up in a laundry room, and it was horrendous - spotty and simplistic writing, terrible history, religious super hero characters, just horrendous. I guess I'm glad I stuck with my impression rather than actually buying one of those books. I actually only ever watched one episode of "Dawson's Creek"...I didn't need the collected "body of work" to know it was crapola.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 05:31:13 AM »

Quote from: MatterEaterLad
For years, I refused to even consider the "Left Behind" series of books as anything worth reading. I accidentally picked one up in a laundry room, and it was horrendous - spotty and simplistic writing, terrible history, religious super hero characters, just horrendous. I guess I'm glad I stuck with my impression rather than actually buying one of those books. I actually only ever watched one episode of "Dawson's Creek"...I didn't need the collected "body of work" to know it was crapola.

There's a difference between what you're talking about, and making snap judgments that need context to be complete and valid.

For instance, I'm not a big fan of Romance novels. Most men aren't, we're not the target audience (they call it "women's fiction" for a reason). It wouldn't be the biggest jump to conclusions in the world for me to say "hey, I don't think I'd enjoy MY VAMPIRE LOVER."

There's a difference between that and say, getting all huffy and outraged over (to pick a controversial example here) the death of Captain America in Ed Brubaker's book without reading it. You have to understand things like how the writer did it, the spirit, and how it's treated. Just reading that it was done does not entitle you to say "what a terrible idea." There's more to the story that has to be considered apart from "Captain America died." You have to know HOW he died, and its significance. Otherwise that opinion is made in ignorance.

If you read the book, you might say, "Oh, but I didn't know they were going to do it THAT way!"

That's why it doesn't cut any ice with me to just whine "but Julian, there's violence there!" The fact there is violence alone is not enough - the context where it takes place must be taken into account. Who is doing it? What function does it serve in-story? Shock value violence or sex is just as offensive to me as it is to others (though I don't whine about it as much). Violence is used in say, CHINATOWN or RESERVOIR DOGS to be truthful, to bring home a level of honesty and grit. In other words, it serves a purpose (just like the death of Captain America).

By the way, I never read LEFT BEHIND, so I am not entitled to have an opinion of it. (Though my Blue-State, Jewish instincts tell me it probably isn't going to, ah, "speak my language.")

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L