superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:56:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver Age Continuity  (Read 28245 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »

By the way, I never read LEFT BEHIND, so I am not entitled to have an opinion of it. (Though my Blue-State, Jewish instincts tell me it probably isn't going to, ah, "speak my language.")

Well, just so you know, you're the chosen people, and after people start disappearing, leaving folded clothes on airplanes, you will see the light and become a fundamentalist Christian...in fact, the MOST CHOSEN fundamentalist Christians. Hope I didn't ruin the ending for you  Wink

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »

Violence has always been a part of superhero comics and always will. What matters is depiction. The superhero comics I grew up with didn't show Black Adam ripping someone in half or show a crocodile man eating someone alive. What's the point in this? Shock value? Why not go off panel? The end result is still the same.

What perplexes me more is DC's VP of Editorial directly saying that the DC Universe line of comics are all-ages books and then having crap like the above in those books. So, he's telling me that stuff like Infinite Crisis, 52, etc. are in the same class as All-Star Superman? Because if he is, then he's mentally deficient and needs to be removed from his position.

That and Superman started as a children's book. It was meant for all ages. Things started to change around 1986 for some reason Wink

It kept and keeps getting worse.

The point I'm trying to make is, there's something misplaced about the urge to "protect" children from sex and violence. Maybe if I had my own children I'd feel differently about it, but what kids want to see are dinosaurs eating people and zombies. Is it so wrong for creators to give these things to them?

Ok, that explains a lot Wink

But seriously, how many kids still read comics other than Manga? Not too many. Let's face facts most kids today are far more into Naruto than the number one comics right now which is Thor (I think), they couldn't care less about Thor or any X-Man who didn't appear in the three films. They only know Spider-man from the movies and Batman and Robin from the cartoon shows. They are not the ones reading and buying today's superhero comics.

So DC and Marvel are now catering to adults who are ashamed that they still read children's books and now are hellbent to prove to others that the comics that they read are really meant for adults with the all the so-called "mature" context, which is in fact very immature, in order for them to not to feel like complete and utter losers, instead of reading novels or actual mature comics.

Of course they can also just be like most people here and actually like enjoy superhero comics for what they are, but I guess that is asking too much.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:10:54 PM by Super Monkey » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »

Ultimately, what scares me more than anything is the violence that you see in, for example, "The Soprano's". Don't you think that when people see, eg Terminator, it may try to be as gory as hell, but people really know that it's just special effects?

As aside: Wouldn't like any children to see either.

Saying that, what about the violence children regualrly get dished out in "Tom and Jerry"?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 04:57:41 AM »

Ultimately, the depiction in art (ie, comics, movies, epic poetry, tv) of violence, like sex, is highly subjective in terms of the viewer/reader and subject to wide interpretation on moral and artistic terms.  The worst use of any representation of violence is as an unironic, cynical plot device calculated to evoke a negative emotional response, and that, storywise, seems out of place or unnecessary.  And the worst thing I can say about this is that it is unimaginative, cynical, jarring, ugly, and leads to a disruption of my suspension of disbelief.  Art is art and we cannot proscribe it or censor it.  We can only reward what we like and challenge laziness, especially if you are a patron.  All of which is very hard to do in a highly ironic, postmodern culture.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »

I much prefer the stories I knew as a kid, where Superman (for example) would hang up his cape in shame if he ever killed anyone.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 09:24:10 PM »

The point I'm trying to make is, there's something misplaced about the urge to "protect" children from sex and violence.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30883

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2007, 12:17:07 AM »

The point I'm trying to make is, there's something misplaced about the urge to "protect" children from sex and violence.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30883

The scary thing is that there are plenty of people out there who would think that's true! In any case, I think the only reason comics have not come under the same kind of scrutiny as other forms of entertainment is because they just aren't as popular as video games or movies or what have you. I'm old enough to remember and young enough to be affected by the whole Mortal Kombat fiasco of the early nineties where Nintendo removed the blood and put "sweat" instead and even had a feature called "make up" or some stupid phrase like that as if it was going to make kids stop wanting to hurt each other when they get mad in real life.

I don't oppose violence in certain comics like Sin City or something like that, but I do think it would be irresponsible to do it in something like Superman. Remember, not all post-crisis fans approved of the killing of the pocket universe villians either. There are still several debates about it on the DC message board to this day.

I agree with the statement that most readers today are closer to 30 then they are to 10 and grew up with these things but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. It means we're here for the long haul and are going to stick around for a while. 
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2007, 12:42:19 AM »

Totally off topic, doesn't this General Petraeus have a really good comic-book character-sounding name?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L